Open Source 3D printer copies itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Source 3D printer copies itself

Computerworld covers a range of technology topics, with a focus on these core areas of IT: generative AI, Windows, mobile, Apple/enterprise, office suites, productivity software, and collaboration software, as well as relevant information about companies such as Microsoft, Apple, and Google.

New features include, for example, heads that can be changed for different kinds of plastic. A head that deposits low melting-point metal is in development, he says. The metal melts at a lower temperature than that at which plastic melts, which means the metal can be put inside plastic, says Olliver. “That means, in theory, we could build structures like motors.”
    FT.

This is amazing and I'm HIGHLY looking forward to it.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
      This is amazing and I'm HIGHLY looking forward to it.
      for one of these reasons???
      “We know that people are going to use the printer to try to make weapons [and] sex toys and drug paraphernalia,”
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Very cool. Can't wait to build a thing-uh-majig-uh-bob!
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
          for one of these reasons???

You found me out..... damn. It has NOTHING to do with being able to make art

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I'm shocked at how many of the parts I already have, or could obtain/make (yes, I have 3-in-1).
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Honestly 3D printers hit every geeky/arty button I have. Fabricate my own 3D model from pictures? Build new parts for broken equipment? Build an mp3 player from scratch?

Seriously it's art, legos, do it yourself electronics, fiddling in the shop, math, drafting, and on and on. How is this not cool?

Comment

Hmmm.... yes this would be cool. Have each generation of the machine build a slightly bigger version of itself... then, when the time is right, build my own spaceship.

Of course, I could "accidentally" build a few dozen "Summer Glau" Terminators....
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Almost as much trouble as I could cause with my big 3-in-1.

Home-brewed zombie fraggers anyone?
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                    Almost as much trouble as I could cause with my big 3-in-1.

Home-brewed zombie fraggers anyone?
                    LOL... you know I just thought it would be neat to build an all plastic version of those 144 wooden rubberband gatling guns. http://www.retrothing.com/2007/03/rubberband_gatl.html

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
                      “We know that people are going to use the printer to try to make weapons [and] sex toys and drug paraphernalia,”

OK.....

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
                      You found me out..... damn. It has NOTHING to do with being able to make art
                      OK.......

But then......

Originally posted by Claymonkey
                      LOL... you know I just thought it would be neat to build an all plastic version of those 144 wooden rubberband gatling guns.

What kind of art form is that?!

Last edited by ND66; 10 April 2008, 06:42.
                      Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

His 'art' friends call him Max
                        FT.

Comment

It looks like it has great potential, but it is very crude ( the resolution is poor), the frame seems far from sturdy, It cannot really replicate itself - many of the parts are purchased/fabricted seperatly.
                          It's still an intersting concept, I may build one, but I would definetly replace the outer frame with something more sturdy (waterjetting the outside frame from aluminum tooling plate would not be that expensive). The resolution of the assembly would need to be improved thou, .5mm is just too loose for me.
                          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

They fully admit they aren't there.... yet. 3D printing is still a new field. The $40k plus ones from just 5 years ago couldn't print any better than this early revision does.

Still it's an interesting concept and if you get on it now, by the tame it CAN do what you'd like and replicate itself fully you'll be an expert just from growing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
                              OK.....

OK.......

But then......

What kind of art form is that?!

LOL it's 'practice' when I'm done learning the tech by making my 'toy' I'll be able to do whatever I want art wise

Comment

Working...
                              X