Le Grand Saut (The Great Leap)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Le Grand Saut (The Great Leap)

legrandsaut.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, legrandsaut.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The mission:

Michel Fournier will sky-dive from balloon at about 130,000 feet (40 kilometers, nearly 25 miles) above the plains of Saskatchewan, Canada.

This would break the previous record set by John Kittinger, a USAF pilot who on August 16, 1960 jumped from a balloon at an altitude of 102,800 feet (31,330 m).

The world records:

- Altitude record for freefall
    - Altitude record for human balloon flight
    - Time record for longest freefall
    - Speed record for fastest freefall

The date:

Sunday May 25th if the weather permits
    Monday May 26th if Sunday is rained out
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 May 2008, 22:42.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

so ... awesome ...

I can see something like this becoming an extreme sport in the future...just not from that height. Here's another site I found:

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Holy crap.
      Would love to see a picture of the suit he'll be wearing...

edit : oops. followed DR's link and its all there...
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Think this is hot? Try the next step for these guys - Space Diving from 60 miles.

Before you laugh consider this: the suit is designed by Ortibal Outfitters, a company founded by former NASA types, including relatives of the astronauts that died in the Columbia incident, disgusted that astronauts couldn't bail out of spacecraft.

20-30 years ago NASA even had plans for an individual orbital escape system using a ballut as a heat shield (like in the film "2010").

PopSci article...

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 May 2008, 08:09.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I guess this time there won't be any doubts about breaking sound barrier?...

Comment

Seriously why wasn't a suit like that available before? Not knocking advances in science but this should have always been in the planning stages. If it was a heat issue at that scale then figure out a chute system that could slow you down enough to be manageable. SOMETHING.

Anyway, this is awesome and I'd never bungee jump but I'd skydive and this just looks amazing.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Le Grande Oooops....

It seems our intrepid skydiver is having to deal with an erstwhile and now quite independant ballon....

The English-language version of the site was still down as of this post... but the French version is up and running.

legrandsaut.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, legrandsaut.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Bon Voyage...
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
              X