Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To suspend the US Stock exchange or not ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To suspend the US Stock exchange or not ?

So that the Financial system can be repaired. Or whatever it is that needs to be done.

edit : before we throw trillions of dollars at it (the financial system).

edit2 : please keep replies short and as non-political as possible. Yes, No, What ?
    Yes.
    0%
    No.
    0%
    What ?
    0%

The poll is expired.

PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Suspending the Stock Exchange would probably be ruled unconstitutional as an unlawful restriction of interstate commerce.

Kevin

Comment

No. Let the market correct itself and put all those bastard execs in jail I say. The main reason why the market is tumbling at this point is because of day trader panic. All the smart investors will end up scooping up shares of strong companies for pennies on the dollar and laugh all the way to the bank when the market recovers. If people were smart and just sat tight instead paniced this would not be such a huge disaster.

<refrains from making a political comment>
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

All stock exchanges worldwide should be closed for a week's moratorium to allow analysts and investors to think calmly and stop their panic adrenaline flowing.

AFAIK, all bourses have in their rules the right to suspend trading.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I can't imagine anything good coming from suspending the market.

But I thought it suspended automatically under certain circumstances.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

If you were to suspend a stock exchange, why limit it to the US only? Suspend them all worldwide. Limiting the suspension to the US only doesn't really accomplish anything.

But then again, what do I know.
            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
              All stock exchanges worldwide should be closed for a week's moratorium to allow analysts and investors to think calmly and stop their panic adrenaline flowing.

AFAIK, all bourses have in their rules the right to suspend trading.
              Like the US wage/price controls Nixon implemented in the '70's all that would do is make matters worse.

In Nixon's case it was a major factor in the runaway stag-flation that continued for almost 8 years.

In this case the first day trading restarted there would be an even worse sell-off due to the pent up sell orders.

Better to let it slide naturally, letting those companies fail that deserve it. The remaining companies will buy their good assets.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 October 2008, 16:17.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121 View Post
                If you were to suspend a stock exchange, why limit it to the US only? Suspend them all worldwide. Limiting the suspension to the US only doesn't really accomplish anything.

But then again, what do I know.
                It was apparently mentioned by Silvio Berlusconi at the recent talks (didn't last a second), but yes, there should be no favorites, since everyone is in the same boat....
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                X