Aarrrggghhhh !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aarrrggghhhh !!!!

A winter storm warning with 9 to 10+ inches of snow tonight, and cold, and wind chills, AGAIN!!!!

The next 100 mT shipment of snow out of our yard goes to Brian so he can share it with the IPCC
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 January 2009, 13:37.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Chciago foercast:

Fri Jan 09 Snow 28°F / 24°F

Sat Jan 10 AM Snow Showers 25°F / 12°F

Sun Jan 11 Flurries 25°F / 18°F

Mon Jan 12 Few Snow Showers 25°F / 8°F

Tue Jan 13 Few Snow Showers 13°F / 3°F

Wed Jan 14 Few Snow Showers 12°F / 0°F

Thu Jan 15 Partly Cloudy 12°F / 4°F

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Tonight Fair to partly cloudy in the evening, becoming clear after midnight. Low 3°C. Wind southeast around 2 m/s.
      Saturday Partly to mostly cloudy in the morning, becoming dense overcast in the afternoon. A slight chance of rain in the afternoon. High 11°C. Wind southeast around 2 m/s. Chance of precipitation less than 20 percent. Precipitation mostly less than 2 mm.
      Saturday night Dense overcast. A slight chance of rain. Low 8°C. Wind south around 2 m/s. Chance of precipitation 20 percent. Precipitation mostly less than 2 mm.
      Sunday Partly cloudy. A slight chance of rain. High 14°C. Wind west-southwest around 3 m/s in the morning, becoming north-northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation less than 20 percent. Precipitation mostly less than 2 mm.
      Sunday night Partly cloudy in the evening, becoming fair to partly cloudy after midnight. Low 6°C. Wind north-northeast around 4 m/s.
      Monday Sunny. High 11°C. Wind north-northeast around 4 m/s.
      Monday night Clear. Low 1°C. Wind east-southeast around 2 m/s.
      Tuesday Sunny. High 13°C. Wind east around 3 m/s.
      Tuesday night Clear. Low 2°C. Wind southeast around 2 m/s.

Fairly normal January weather

Brian would love snow shipped here as we are still in severe drought, although I don't know how much 100 milliteslas represent. If you meant 100 Mt (megatonnes), then that is not enough to fill our reservoirs: maybe 100 Gt would be better
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Heavy Snow, Detroit to New York

Brian;

mT, or sometimes mt, is used on space and industrial sites and is short for metric ton (or tonne - their use is pretty much interchangeable).

For space applications it's used to define a launch systems payload capacity (suborbital, LEO, GTO or lunar/planetary insertion).

I've also seen it written MT and Mt, though I don't think they're as 'standard'.

Encyclopedia entry;

Metric tonne

A tonne (also called metric ton) is a non-SI unit of mass, accepted for use with SI, defined as:

1 tonne = 103 kg (= 106 g).

It is approximately equal to 2,204.62262 pounds.

The tonne spelling is borrowed from the French word, and is now common in English where it is rarely used for any other ton. For the United States, metric ton is the name for this unit used and recommended by NIST. (http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec05.html#5.1.1)

(NIST = National Institute of Standards and Technology)

The official symbol is t, but T and mT and mt (especially in the combination mmt for "million metric tons") are also used.

The tonne may also be referred to by the strictly SI term megagram, symbol Mg.

Like grams and kilograms, tonnes have also given rise to a force unit of the same name: 1 tonne-force = 9.80665 kilonewtons (kN), a unit also often called simply "tonne" or "metric ton" without identifying it as a unit of force. Note that it is only the tonne as a unit of mass which is accepted for use with SI; the tonne-force or metric ton-force is not acceptable for use with SI.

The ton of TNT or tonne of TNT is a unit of energy based on the tonne, assuming 1000 small calories per gram (4.184 kJ/g) and thus a tonne of TNT is 4.184 GJ. This unit is also not acceptable for use with SI.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 January 2009, 02:44.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc

You need to get a new encyclopaedia.

Attached below is a copied extract from ISO 31-0, which is the international standard on Quantities and Units, signed and ratified by 198 countries, including the USA.

1. the tonne is exactly 1,000 kg not 103 kg. If you wish to express it in exponential units and you do not have superscripts, then the convention is 10^3 or, better, use the engineering unit 1E3.

2. The only permitted symbol is t. Any combination of m and t in any case is forbidden (para 2.3.2.3 and 3.2.4 ibid) as m is reserved for milli 10^-3 and M is reserved for mega 10^; t is the unit for tonne and T is the SI derived unit for the tesla. It is clear that mt is a millitonne, mT is a millitesla, Mt is a megatonne and MT is a megatesla.

3. Spelled in full, metric ton (never metric tonne, which is pleonastic) may be used in written or spoken American English, but the only symbol is t. This is clear in the attachment.

4. The SI base unit for mass is the kilogram, not the gram, which is a derived unit = 10^-3 kg. A Mg is therefore not a strictly SI unit, but a derived one.

Honest Injun, when you wrote mT in your first post, I thought you meant an ironic megatonne, which is why I took you to task and explains the last paragraph in my post. Certainly, 100 t is no use to us. If it is available, I could use that in a month, myself, for summer irrigation. Unfortunately, this past summer, I was limited to about ½ t/week, which is why my lawns are now like shredded wheat.

Having worked on two ISO/ANSI (yes, an American one) and ISO/CEI working groups, I'm ultra-sensitised to the correct use of symbols. I was even given an award plaque for my work for ANSI/IPC-CH-65!

Comment

Who cares.
            In context, a ton/tonne/mtonne/whogivesafukton.
            The intention was obviously 'A LOT' or 'A BUNCH'.

How analy rententive do you have to be to piss about something like this.
            It's lots of snow, no matter how you want to measure it...and the intent was to express lots of snow. The point was it's snowing hard there. Give or take a few hundred or a few thousand pounds...the point was LOTS of snow.

Quit pissin about symantics.

BTW, yesterday, it was in the 60s (fahrenheit, for you nitpickers) here in Denver yesterday...50s today.
            Michigan sucks. Born and raised in Dearborn, and I don't miss it even a little....
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
              Doc

You need to get a new encyclopaedia.

Attached below is a copied extract from ISO 31-0, which is the international standard on Quantities and Units, signed and ratified by 198 countries, including the USA.
              >
              To which the US and many companies have made a local exception.

Go argue with NIST, NASA, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Orbital, SpaceX, many industrial companies & the industrial media etc. etc.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

How those exceptions worked out for one Mars orbiter?

Comment

That was caused by some software using metric units and some not.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

...in other words "inconsistent usage of units of measurement".

Just like your system in which 0.001 T = 1000 kg
                    Last edited by Nowhere; 10 January 2009, 16:33.

Comment

And the pissing match goes on.

This thread was made to express displeasure with weather conditions, and it turns into whining over what a ton/tonne is.

Gawd, and I thought I had no life.
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

(puzzled look)
                        Global warming?
                        I have had more snow already than most entire winters and more tonight! Aaaaaargh is right!
                        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

We're +60% above our normal snowfall for this point in the year, plus we're colder than normal.

I also hear that Alaska is registering temps around -74F, far below their normal and so cold even those hardy folks are being advised not to go outside even bundled. Even some sled dog and snow machine events have been canceled.

Similar things are happening in Minnesota, Wisconsin and other northern states. Not sure about Canada, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're in hibernation too.
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 January 2009, 01:12.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Taken at the Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge offices in Tok, Alaska.

That is chilly! -80°F = -62.2°C

However, my weather station uses the same equipment as in the photo (Davis Vantage Pro 2) and, checking the manual, it has a nominal accuracy of ±1°F/0.5°C over the range of -40°F - +150°F or -40°C - +65°C, so it cannot be guaranteed that the indication is anything like correct. I would also be very surprised if the RH were 38% at that temperature, as well.

Notwithstanding, it is certainly chilly!!! I would not like to live in Tok or, for that matter, anywhere in Palinland.

This is not the North American low record. The North American low of -63°C (-81.4°F) was recorded at Snag in Canada's Yukon Territory, on Feb. 3, 1947.

Comment

Working...
                            X