"The Thing" prequel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Thing" prequel

Yes, a prequel based on what happened at the Norwegian camp first destroyed by the alien.

Script by BSG exec producer Ron Moore.

Variety article....
    Universal bringing back 'The Thing'

Van Heijningen to direct horror film

Universal will add a new chapter to "The Thing," lining up another take on the paranoid horror classic most recently brought to the screen by John Carpenter in 1982.

Studio has set "Battlestar Galactica" exec producer Ron Moore to write the script and commercials director Matthijs Van Heijningen to direct the re-imagining.

New project borrows heavily from the John W. Campbell Jr. short story "Who Goes There," the basis of the Carpenter film and 1951 Howard Hawks original "The Thing From Another World."

It is set in a Norwegian camp and chronicles how the shape-shifting alien was first discovered and overcame the inhabitants of that camp. Strike Entertainment's Eric Newman and Marc Abraham are producing. David Foster will be exec producer.

Van Heijningen has shot blurbs for brands including Toyota, Pepsi, Heineken, Bud Light and Visa. He is also developing "Army of the Dead" at Warner Bros. with producer Zack Snyder, who also crossed from commercials to features by directing the Strike-produced "Dawn of the Dead" remake.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

On one hand, when opening this topic, I certainly hoped it would be about "those crazy Norwegians" (vs. in the style of Alien "prequels")

On the other...I'm not sure what's the point; it will be basically, compared to The Thing, the same story and setting (well, perhaps slightly more low-tech/traditional base, but that's it). I don't see where they can improve on the original that much, the way they did with BSG.

Comment

Working...
    X