Stupid user tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid user tricks

So my coworker sells a new laptop to an elderly gentleman and transfers all his documents.

After a week he comes back and says that he can't open his documents.

My coworker comes to me and asks me to fix it since he's given up.

the files have the file ending .shs a quick google later and I find this MS article.

In Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, you can drag and drop selected document text, drawing objects, and graphics to the Windows desktop. A desktop icon is created for the scrap file, along with a file located in the Windows\Desktop subfolder with an .shs extension. This file is a native program document that contains the information that was selected and dragged onto the Windows desktop. If you select and delete the desktop icon, the corresponding .shs file is also deleted. You can select and drag a scrap file on the desktop into another document.

NOTE: The scrap file is a special OLE object and is not a readable file. You cannot open an .shs file nor can you insert it into another document (for example, you cannot insert an .shs file by using the File command on the Insert menu in Word). To place a scrap into a document or workbook, you must drag it to the document. However; you can rename the scrap object or move it from one directory to another just as you can rename or move an ordinary file.

The Word for Windows scrap file document contains margin settings of 0 (zero) inches. When you drag the scrap document into another Word document, the scrap file conforms to the page setup of the existing Word document; thus, only the contents of the scrap file are transferred into the Word document.
    Turns out that the customer had used outlook and "Use Word as mail editor" and had been unable to figure out how to use the save function and used this as a "shortcut" instead of copying and pasting to get the text he received by mail into word.

And apparently MS decided to remove this madness in Vista cause this system isn't included in vista.

He had more than a hundred files and "porting" the functionality seemed quicker than opening each and every and resaving it as doc, so I copied the shscrap.dll file of my workstation to his and added the appropriate reg entries (again, google is your friend) and suddenly I had made Vista a bit more backwards compatible.

My coworker took the heavy part of explaining to the customer
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I seem to be able to open these in Word by double-clicking. Office 2003.
    Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 10 February 2009, 18:55.

Comment

Well, it didnt in word 2007
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

You have to give the user credit for finding a very original solution to his problem...

The main issue IMO is that these programs are way too complex for what most users need. My father uses Wordpad when he has to write a letter or so, and it suffices just fine. I also moved him from Outlook Express to Thunderbird, and from IE to Firefox; all is well.

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
          Well, it didnt in word 2007
          Does for me.
          FT.

Comment

probably depends on office version or if you did a full install

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              The main issue IMO is that these programs are way too complex for what most users need.

...and they think they need it anyway :/ (admittedly - partly due to deceptive marketing/training)

Comment

I've had people ask me for Office and I usually just give them Open Office with the rest being told to buy it if they "need" it. Better than spending hundreds of dollars for basic features. My mother still uses Office 2000. No complaints from several people.

Comment

Hmm... problem with Open Office is that it looses the dia-model information: the slides will look the same, but when you save it, and open again in powerpoint, new slides/sections get the wrong typeface/colour/... (as we painfully discovered when a colleague edited our slides with Open Office... )

But yes, for most users, even that won't matter.
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Well. Many are the type of people who ask for a "copy" even the ones that have money.

And I have yet to see a home user use Powerpoint.
                    Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 23 February 2009, 12:14.

Comment

I load OpenOffice on all cash registers so that they can print OMG DISCOUNT! signs.

Comment

Just installed Office 2007 Trial Professional Edition. Works fine here too.

Comment

Working...
                        X