Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin Hood (2010) gets the epic treatment

Filming starts in April.

Look for a "Gladiator" version, with a hyper-realistic edge & sticking to many of the periods historical facts.

Studios: Universal/Imagination Entertainment

Budget:
    $130 million

Director:
    Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Thelma & Louise, Blade Runner, Alien & a slew of others)

Producers: Ridley and Tony Scott

Screenplay: Brian Helgeland (L.A. Confidential, Mystic River)

Synopsis: The story of an archer in the army of Richard Coeur de Lion who fights against the Norman invaders and becomes the legendary hero known as Robin Hood.

Robin of Loxley: Russell Crowe
    Marian: Cate Blanchett
    Guy of Gisborne: Mark Strong
    Also: William Hurt, Vanessa Redgrave, Gordon Pinsent
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 February 2009, 21:14.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I just can't see Russell Crowe as archer...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

As long as it doesn't resemble the Kevin Costner version in any way, shape, or form...
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

It's strength and fine muscle control, not body type or even size or sex. I know a couple of small women who give most all of of the men they compete against total fits. These same women are wicked bowhunters, and one of them is my wife.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

We had a US archery champion as the archery teacher at a camp I attended as a boy.
          He wasn't anything spectacular as a physical specimen, no bulging arms or anything. He just had the touch.
          He could casually lob arrows into the bulls eye from way down at the storage shack maybe 75-100 meters away.

He did hunt bear with a bow and arrow.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
            He did hunt bear with a bow and arrow.
            So do we - it's quite common....bear, whitetail deer (ours can run 300 lbs), boar (500 lbs is not uncommon - these migrated into the upper midwest a few years ago) and sometimes elk if we win permits in the yearly drawing. We even fish with bows - quite popular here.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 March 2009, 17:23.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              It's strength and fine muscle control, not body type or even size or sex. I know a couple of small women who give most all of of the men they compete against total fits. These same women are wicked bowhunters, and one of them is my wife.

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... but Crowe is not the fine muscle control type. His acting style and body type scream hack and slash, not precision archery. That and most Robin Hoods are traditionally wiry types, which Crowe is not. Though I suppose if it's going to me more historically accurate he would be portraying a war veteran...

Comment

Looks mean nothing in archery or marksmanship in general....I've seen small and large, short and tall men, women and children of every habitus hammer targets and game consistently.

I'm 6' 1.5", over 300 lbs and have a weightlifters physique - hardly what would imply the fine muscle control 'type' especially given a history of being a football lineman, yet I've competed in both targets and field since age 20 and as a young man raced cars.

It's practice, practice, practice with a plus if fine muscle control was in the cards for you from the get go.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 March 2009, 13:48.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm talking about Robin Hood days, not now. Bodybuilder size people back then swung around a warhammer, axe or sword, not shot a bow. Someone that strong, and skilled through training, would be considered a larger asset on the field than sitting back and lobbing arrows.

Comment

In England learning archery was at times mandatory for able bodied males, with fines or worse for those who didn't partake. By manhood these men were extremely dangerous on the battlefield, and English kings made great use of this resource. The first major English battle decided by archers (in support of armored infantry) was the Battle of the Standard in 1138 with the Scots. King David I's troops charged the English line and got pretty much perforated, sliced and diced.

By the next century an English archer could fire up to 15 aimed arrows a minute with an effective range of up to 400 yards, depending on the arrow and bow subtypes. 10 arrows/minute was considered a minimum.

I've tried English rounds with a longbow and believe me it ain't easy

Of course the downside was that insurgencies had experienced, able war fighters from the get go.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 March 2009, 14:30.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                    X