Mercedes ML450 2-mode hybrid SUV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes ML450 2-mode hybrid SUV

Uses the same 2-mode hybrid system GM is using to get 20+ mpg out of their big SUV's. Remember: they co-developed this with BMW, Chrysler and GM.

Car & Driver link....

2010 Mercedes-Benz ML450 Hybrid - Auto Shows

Sibling rivalry: In-house competition for the diesel-sipping ML320 BlueTec.

April 2009

With hybrids still nabbing most of the fuel-efficiency headlines in the U.S., even the most committed members of the oil-burning diesel cabal are resorting to the battery-electric solution to sell greater fuel efficiency to the American public. Witness Mercedes-Benz, longtime diesel devotee, and its 2010 Mercedes-Benz ML450 hybrid unveiled at the New York auto show.

Beneath the ML450’s unique hood rests a 3.5-liter Atkinson-cycle V-6 producing 275 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque. Supplemented by a pair of electric motors and a 2.4-kWh nickel-metal hydride battery, the powertrain manages a maximum of 335 hp and 381 lb-ft.

The ML450 hybrid will send power to all four wheels through the two-mode hybrid transmission developed in cooperation with General Motors, Chrysler, and BMW—and found under the hoods of the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade hybrids, the late Durango/Aspen hybrid, and upcoming X6 hybrid. The magic of the transmission is its ability to function as either a conventional fixed-gear automatic or a CVT, as both offer fuel-economy benefits in different driving conditions. Mercedes claims fuel economy of 21 mpg in the city and 24 on the highway, its own ML320 BlueTec diesel by 3 mpg in the city while matching it on the highway.

Because even greenies get pissed sometimes, the ML450 includes a launch-control function that M-B says will sling the hybrid ute to 60 mph in 7.8 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 15.8. On the opposite—and likely much more frequently visited—end of the spectrum is a traffic-jam mode that allows the ML450 to move under electric-only power even on a low battery charge.

The arrival of the ML450 hybrid brings to two the number of M-classes available for those who wish to save the world—or at least a little bit of fuel. Those preferring hybrid to diesel tech will be able to get their mitts on an ML450 in December. Mercedes won’t yet disclose exact pricing, but expect to pay around $50,000 for the hybrid.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Ahhhh, a bit over 20 mpg, that's a bit more honest (and still a bit pathetic)

(BTW, what's their problem with diesel?...)

Comment

20mpg is pretty pathetic. Doesn't the Ford Escape get over 30mpg?

I really don't see the point of putting hybrid systems in larger vehicles, it really misses the point of trying to save fuel.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Well, the exact same system takes the GM Yukon etc. from 12 mpg to 22 mpg and an upcoming mid-SUV from 18mpg to almost 30 so I'm wondering what's up with Daimler's implementation?

As far as big hybrids go: you do realize that GE is testing (successfully from the reports) a hybrid train engine and that Kenworth announced the T270 Class 6 18 wheeler 2 years ago? International, Oshkosh , Caterpillar and most of the other commercial truck makers, here and in Europe, are doing likewise. Wal-Mart is going to replace at least 25% of their huge fleet with them.

They'll save about 10% of the fuel normally used, and given how many miles the average semi drives in this country that's a whole lot of diesel fuel.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 April 2009, 11:04.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

They mention 24...that's not too far off from "almost 30". The latter is still a bit pathetic (not per se, just in terms of boasting "look at our improvement!")

Comment

It is impressive for one reason - this thing is still a "performance" SUV. 7.8s 0-60 and 15.8 quarter mile is good for a vehicle that size.

The germans are making amazing motors, but they still have a hard-on for performance, so the mpg numbers aren't that great. For example, there is an Audi Q7 hybrid prototype that gets combined 24mpg, and is also 7.4s 0-60.

There is also a Porsche Cayenne Hybrid that does 0-60 in 6.8s.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Audi A4, 3.0 TDI (not hybrid, just Audi's new "clean diesel")

Under the hood of the all-new A4 beats an engine that will be the core of the brand's diesel rebirth in North America. The 3.0 V6 TDI produces a conservative 237-hp and, as is typical with a diesel, torque that eclipses that figure — its healthy 369 lb-ft is on tap from the lowly engine speed of 1500 rpm. As a result, a manual-transmission version like our tester is capable of 0-60 runs in just 6.1 seconds — a mere 0.2 seconds slower than the twin-turbo B5 S4 of less than a decade ago.
              More interestingly, this larger, more luxurious and more powerful A4 is said to net over 40 mpg.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
              X