Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Penske buys Saturn (car compnay): new business model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penske buys Saturn (car compnay): new business model?

So thinks the Detroit Free Press...(article)....but I think it's been done many times before.

Nevertheless; GM will provide Penske with cars for 2 years while he gets his product line in order, be it from GM or elsewhere. Local scuttlebutt is that he'll get EV's and Volt-style EREV's into the lineup.

For those who don't know: Roger Penske owns one of the most successful racing teams in the US, having won Indy several times among many other major races. He also owns the 2nd largest auto dealer group in the US.

EDIT: EV's confirmed by Penske in Auto Observer interview....

>
    Electric Power First; Performance Later

In light of the U.S. government's emphasis on available funding for alternative-powered vehicles, Penske said "electric vehicles will be right at the forefront" and "might be the first vehicles produced in the U.S." under this new Saturn arrangement with foreign partners.

A former racecar driver and still a race-team owner, Penske said performance, which Saturn tried to highlight with its Red Line models, will take a backseat for now.

"We need to be focused on the core volume before we become a specialty house. We need to generate volume," he said, noting that Saturn's volume has fallen to less than 100,000 vehicles sold annually. "We need to get back to a 150,000-200,000 run rate. Then we'll look at specialty items.

"Performance is close to my heart and adds value to attract certain customers," he continued. "But first we have to be sure the customer base is satisfied with low-cost and efficient models."
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 June 2009, 20:53.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

This is more good news for GM employees. More will be able to keep their jobs (at least for a couple years), rather than being canned when Saturn was shut down...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
    X