No announcement yet.

Loss of a best friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero was named so because like the dog in Our Gang/The Little Rascals she also has a big circle around one eye - literally a zero.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 October 2009, 10:12.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I wouldn´t get a german shepard. from experiences with friends: they really accumulated a bunch of genetic troubles (hip issues, among others) over time, no matter what the breeder says.

mfg
      wulfman
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman View Post
        I wouldn´t get a german shepard. from experiences with friends: they really accumulated a bunch of genetic troubles (hip issues, among others) over time, no matter what the breeder says.

mfg
        wulfman
        That could be true for any "pure-bred" dog breed. Too much inbreeding by puppy mills.

Kevin

Comment

Not all breeders are 'puppy mills'. The one that we have dealt with in the past (with Roxy) keeps careful track of blood lines and has very, very, VERY few problems, but still the prices are reasonable. With a clientele that stretches back generations they refuse to compromise that trust (it's a family side-business after their farm).

Roxy was a testimony to their quality; she lived to age 12, good for a huge dog, and only had to be put down because of heart worm. Before that she was a fireball for 11+ years with no hip dysplasia or other such nonsense.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 October 2009, 12:39.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I think we had the most bazzar names for dogs...

Dutchka (German Sheppard Wolf mix)
            Antar (son of Dutchka, who was the most mazing dog I have ever owned)
            Mars (hunting/pointer for wild pheasant and wild bore)
            Rexy (another German sheppard)
            Ronbie (another son of Dutchka)
            and finally ... sweetie ( a French fluffy thing, no not a poodle, can't recall the name)

I miss them all!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              Not all breeders are 'puppy mills'. The one that we have dealt with in the past (with Roxy) keeps careful track of blood lines and has very, very, VERY few problems, but still the prices are reasonable. With a clientele that stretches back generations they refuse to compromise that trust (it's a family side-business after their farm).

Roxy was a testimony to their quality; she lived to age 12, good for a huge dog, and only had to be put down because of heart worm. Before that she was a fireball for 11+ years with no hip dysplasia or other such nonsense.
              Aye, there's the rub. If you have a reputable breeder to work with, no problem. Otherwise you might be better off getting a mutt from the shelter.

Kevin

Comment

My condolences... I've lost a few good dogs over the years and it's the hardest thing to make that last trip the Vet.

We have two really great female dogs right now.

My Bone!!!

An Akita sized water dish.

Alba is the older sister that raised the little monster.

Alba and Querque at 3 months old.
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                X