The Six Million Dollar Man (2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Six Million Dollar Man (2012)

To follow much more closely Martin Caidin's 1972 novel Cyborg, which was much darker in tone than the TV series.

No production data yet it was just announced, but presumably if it does well the other 3 Cyborg novels could be sequels; Operation Nuke (1973), High Crystal (1974) and Cyborg IV (1975)
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

and with all the cool Darpa stuff you've been posting about I'd say that today it would probably be posible to make an "Six Million Dollar Man"
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

We're not quite there, but it's getting pretty darned close.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I still don't know how the technology would work, half human, half machine. the machine (cyborg) part latched on to human tissue, any movement or simply carrying something heavy would tear right out of the flesh it's attached to.
        Would be interesting to see how they work it out in the new Six Million Dollar man movie, which by todays economy would be actually worth 6 billion

Comment

Don't underestimate the strength or stretchability of human skin.

In the case of partially amputated limbs a titanium based stud can be screwed into the marrow channel of the residual bone to which the bionics can attach. After time the bone grows into the stud, similar to how artificial knees attach. The surface of a stud can even be made to allow skin to grow into it, providing an external seal. Not too different than a dental prosthesis, but larger. This attachment lets the user remove the prosthesis at night, for repair or upgrading. One company already has >100 such attachments in patients as part of the trials (see below).

Not enough bone? Bioengineered synthetic bones are going through tests now. Just extend what's there. If none then other means are being worked on that would leverage experience already gained from artificial hips and shoulders.

Interfacing to the nervous system was announced October this year; a tiny cup/sensor seeded with patient muscle cells that fits over the end of a nerve remnant. The nerve grows into said cup, wiring itself up to the muscle cells and providing a tissue-machine interface to the electronics. Not being just a connection point, the muscle cells also amplify the signal. Interesting thing is in the rat tests blood vessels grow into the cup to feed the muscle and nerve tissues without prompting. Also interesting; the cup seems to prevent scar formation and an inflammatory response, also without intervention.

Eventually a transmitter would wirelessly pass signals to the prosthesis through the remaining flesh. Yes, a highly secured bluetooth for prostheses. I understand making this interface tissue-powered is being worked on; enough electricity can be extracted from living tissue to charge a battery/ultracap that would power small signaling devices at high-enough data rates. Alternatively, a very tiny nuclear battery is nearing production that would last about 25 years.

Silicone gloves cover the attachment and prosthesis. Previously these weren't too pretty, but new coverings are coming out with custom color and texture matching to the patients own skin including hair, pores, veins and even freckles and other camo. Unless you look real close....

Unpowered leg w/stud

Powered leg w/stud (2008 YouTube)

Prosthetic glove

Nuclear battery (production size will be much smaller)
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 December 2009, 01:22.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
          X