New TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TV?

My TV seems to be dying, in as much as more and more frequently it won’t respond to any controls, remote or otherwise, and keeps the input enunciator on the screen. Don’t wanna be without a TV over the holidays! Its a 32" LCD, ~6 years old.

A quick look at AV Forums shows the Toshiba 42AV635DB to be a reasonable choice, £480 from Amazon. It’s a shame this won’t wait another couple of years as 3D sets are just arriving. £480 is entry-level I think, not sure what I’d gain from spending more. I looked in to LED TVs, but that’s just an alternative backlight system that attracts a significant price premium for, from what I can tell, little or no advantage other than thinness.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

T.
    FT.

How about a repairer? I would expect >6 y from a TV. My last one (28" CRT) did 14 y. An LCD should last longer.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Might well do that, with a view to using elsewhere or selling on.
      FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
        How about a repairer? I would expect >6 y from a TV. My last one (28" CRT) did 14 y. An LCD should last longer.

What? And not use the perfect excuse for the mrs to get a brand new one?

I just bought a Samsung 40" LCD LE40B530 http://www.samsung.com/baltic/consum...ype=prd_detail

Very nice picture, 1920x1080, but a little poor audio. It is cheap, cost about 5500 NOK ~ 600£

Worth every penny!

Comment

Hehe, spot-on, jms

What made you go for that model? It's a very similar price to the Tosh albeit 2" smaller but that's not a big issue.
          FT.

Comment

Got it because of some great reviews. Here's one (this is the exact same model I have):

http://translate.google.com/translat...35&sl=no&tl=en

Not sure how much sense the translated version makes.

I have a coworker with the same TV, he is also very happy with it.

Comment

Just went to a big store and had a good look. Have ordered the Tosh from Amazon, should be here tomorrow.

Cheers,

T.
              FT.

Comment

Don't buy Toshiba! I have a 42 inch model and I don't like it (can't complain though it was free) but if I were to buy one it would be Sharp or Sony.

My TV has bright spots on the sides and you can see the interlacing, the contrast is not great so the blacks are more grey then true black.
                Only two HDMI in, and overall image quality is not that great.

Comment

Didn't spot any of those problems in the shop today, nor in any of the reviews. Black looked very good. This model has 4 hmdi plus all the usual inputs and will play all sorts of media from a USB device.
                  FT.

Comment

I've been dying for a new TV, but my 19 y.o. 32" Tosihba just keeps going, and going, and going.....
                    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Maybe you should play Wii Bowling without the wrist-straps?
                      FT.

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
                        I've been dying for a new TV, but my 19 y.o. 32" Tosihba just keeps going, and going, and going.....

just keep an eye out for a deal on www.redflagdeals.com Thanks to it, I scored a 46" Panasonic Plasma for $999 back in June
                        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                          Maybe you should play Wii Bowling without the wrist-straps?
                          It's a crt. Not sure if there would be any damage --- unless I weight them down some how
                          Thanks Tjalfe, I keep forgetting about that site.
                          Last edited by gt40; 17 December 2009, 16:16.
                          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Cograts on your choice, you'll be laughing when you see the 42" compared to the 32" in your living room

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
                              Thanks Tjalfe, I keep forgetting about that site.
                              this thread in the forum is a good place to start
                              Update: Title was changed, it is no longer misleading. I decided to make a thread dedicated to posting links with the best deal on a 46-47" LCD

if I was shopping now though, I would probably get a 52"
                              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                              X