Opel Flextreme GT/E Voltec EREV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opel Flextreme GT/E Voltec EREV

A concept (auto press says very likely for production) to be introduced at the Geneva auto show in March.

Pup has a drag coefficient of .22. Vehicle is larger than Volt.

You'll notice that some shape-shifting occurs at the rear quarters. From Opens page;

The Flextreme GT/E also explores the potential for active shape shifting. At speeds above 50 km/h, a vertical panel extends along the body from the air extraction slot behind each rear wheel-arch. These 350 mm-long side spoilers guide high-speed airflow around the rear corners of the car, further reducing the amount of turbulence.
    Opel's page....

Large images

Pic1
    Pic2
    Pic3
    Pic4
    Pic5
    Pic6
    Pic7
    Pic8
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 February 2010, 22:39.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

These kind of cars are gonna put GM out of buiz for good. (these and 'Volt' types)

The warranty repairs on todays models are a huge strain for GM (trust me, I work at a GM dealership).
    I see 10s of thousands of dollars spent on GM paid warranty fixes every week, and that's just at a small Wyoming dealer. Imagine what a large dealer sees daily. A single bad transmission on a hybrid Yukon nears a 5 digit repair. (forget the DuraMax Diesels (Isuzu) trucks, which eat $800 injectors (x8 per engine) for lunch)

The parts alone on these next gen vehicles are stupid expensive. And you can bet they aren't gonna get it all right the first time around.

It'll be nice for a while for the dealers, while we do recalls and TSBs. As long as GM can pay us to do them....

But there is not an employee at any GM dealership that is not trying to figure out where to go when the boat finally sinks...
    Last edited by Kruzin; 20 February 2010, 22:53.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

And yes, Opel is still a division of GM...

How are other GM divisions doing?

Oldsmobile...Dead and buried years ago
      Pontiac....'10 last production year (our dealership is not even buying any '10s)
      Saturn....'10 last production year (I can't even get Saturn parts in this state)
      Hummer...Maybe Chineese...maybe dead (which may be better)
      SAAB...Bought by a company that builds 20 cars a year

I truly hope GM pulls a rabbit out of it's ass...I want a job beyond next year.
      But I ain't holdin my breath...
      Last edited by Kruzin; 20 February 2010, 23:33.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

BTW...

Despite the recent hoopla at the motor shows, GM has halted production on all Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra DuraMax trucks for an undetermined time, since Isuzu can't make the engines meet EPA regs. We are told not to expect any new DuraMax trucks for at least 6 months.

How much is this going to help sales in rural areas like where I am, with the farmers and oil field workers that only buy diesels?

Comment

no rear view mirrors. if that thing goes into production, the 0.22 probably won't hold up.

mfg
          wulfman
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman View Post
            no rear view mirrors. if that thing goes into production, the 0.22 probably won't hold up.

mfg
            wulfman
            No door handles either.
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Door locks: of course it'll have 'em, but expect RF, RFID and/or biometric for the locks. I know I haven't used a key on a door or deck lid in years.

Mirrors: HD cameras & blind spot radar
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Opel is not doing so bad in Europe. I'ts a kind of best price/performance car that's still OK made (not a Kia). Kind of father's car. IME of the small cars (Renault Clio, VW Polo, Ford Ka, Fiat Punto...) Opel Corsa is the worst to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by GuchiGuh
                  Kruzin, sounds like a mess doesn't it.

How about looking for something else right now? I wouldn't be standing on the Titantic if I knew it was going to sink.
                  I been lookin.
                  The job market sux mossy rocks right now.
                  I took this job (that good ol Rags hooked me up with), to keep from living under a bridge.
                  I have decades of CAD experience in architecture and landscape architecture. Even taught the stuff at a college for 10 years.
                  But houses aren't selling, builders aren't building, landscapers aren't landscaping....so I fell back on my car knowledge till things turn around....

Comment

Sorry to say, but even the Fed and optimistic economists says job recovery is 5 years out, more if Congress doesn't quit spending like it is.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yea...it sucks all around for jobs right now.
                      Hopefully Government Motors (GM) can keep it running till other markets pick back up....

Comment

GM is selling all they can make in China.

Last year they sold 1.8 million there, up almost 67%, and are getting ready to build a huge new plant.

Apparently they have a taste for Buick's, and talk here in MoTown is that China will get a Volt plant too.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                          talk here in MoTown is that China will get a Volt plant too.
                          As if exploding iPod/Laptop batteries weren't enough...
                          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Far different chemistry and electrode designs. Not to mention active monitoring, cooling etc.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                              Mirrors: HD cameras & blind spot radar
                              These are technically perfectly feasable, but are they legal?
                              And if they have to wait for legislation to change...
                              pixar
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                              X