No announcement yet.

Runaway Prius in California....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's rare to see a vehicle with a single control system, ie the Engine/transmission control is seperate from the abs module, the cruise module, the general electronics module, etc,
    but with everything being so integrated in a hybrid or electric vehicle, I can see where there would be a trend towards a centralized control sytem. And a redundant computer is not the same as redundant controls. If the controller is pooched, all the computers in the world won't make it work.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Definetly NSFW:

Although this guy obviously may not know the depth of the problem, it's still funny to watch.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Oh now here's a surprise

James Sikes, the San Diego runaway Toyota Prius driver, filed for bankruptcy in 2008 and now has over $700,000 in debt. According to one anonymous tipster, we're also told he hasn't been making payments on his Prius. UPDATE!

We received an email earlier today from an anonymous tipster who claims James (Jim) Sikes, the driver of the runaway Toyota Prius, was in financial trouble and even behind by five months on his payments for the Prius. If that's true, it's potential motivation for wanting to find an out — any out — on paying for the vehicle.

We did some public records searches (thanks to the help of Gawker's John Cook) and found Sikes and his wife Patty found themselves, like many in the California real estate business, on the bursting side of the real estate bubble last year. The two declared bankruptcy in June of 2008 and have a combined liability of over $700,000 dollars in debt.

Among the list of creditors holding secured claims is none other than Toyota Financial Services for a lease on a 2008 Toyota Prius with 7,200 miles on the odometer. Total value of the lease at the time of bankruptcy was $20,494.

UPDATE: We're now hearing rumors that Sikes has a history of items in his possession being stolen and him filing for insurance claims. We found at least one case of this in his bankruptcy documents, which we've included below. We're told we should know more about a second incident shortly.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

There's more in USAToday:
          It's been another miserable week for Toyota. Just when it thought it might turn the tide Monday by bashing ABC News for its demonstration of how a Toyota Avalon might be rigged to produce unintended acceleration, along comes the much-covered runaway Prius on a suburban San Diego Freeway. But Toyota may get a lucky break.

It's been another miserable week for Toyota. Just when it thought it might turn the tide Monday by bashing ABC News for its demonstration of how a Toyota Avalon might be rigged to produce unintended acceleration, along comes the much-covered runaway Prius on a suburban San Diego Freeway.

But Toyota may get a lucky break.

That San Diego case against Toyota is starting to look shaky. As USA TODAY's Sharon Silke Carty reports, runaway driving victim James Sikes was having financial problems and the Associated Press says his Prius was equipped with an advanced pedal system designed to shut down the car. If it turns out that the Prius case is a phony, Toyota might be able to parlay it into getting everyone to accept the idea that its explanation for all its troubles surrounding unintended acceleration -- jamming pedals and sticky accelerators -- was right all along and that the cars' computers are not to blame.

The latest about why that San Diego case may be falling apart:

His Prius was equipped with a brake override system. It would have curtailed the acceleration if he pressed the accelerator and brake in a way that indicated he was confused or panicked.
          He was deeply in debt and has retained a law firm, even though so far he says doesn't plan to sue Toyota.
          His answer on why he didn't shift the car in neutral to stop the acceleration raised more questions. He told Carty he was afraid that would "flip the car." He also says, "I've since found out that's not possible, but I had no idea. Hopefully, I helped save five to 10 lives because people are now finding out" how to put a moving Prius into neutral.

We'll be watching. Toyota so needs to hit some sort of turning point to get out of this mess. Sure , there are other high-profile cases against Toyota, but the San Diego Prius has become the poster child. in the public's mind, if this one falls apart, the others could look shaky as well.
          As to not putting it into neutral because he was afraid he would "flip the car", I read elsewhere that he is a member of the local Corvette owners club, making that explanation very suspicious...
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I suspected from day 1 that this 'runaway Prius' was a hoax.
            Dude's just lookin for some $$.
            There's never been any case as severe as he claims, and it just so happens to take place right after the publicity...and while he's in financial dire straights...

As much as I'd like to see Toyota take responsibility for their issues, this kind of farce only works in their favor...
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

gag site, but sums up the situation nicely

Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Interesting media commentary at

This affair is so over-hyped with at least 100 "experts" giving their learned opinions, all different!
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

lol

http://toyotasimulator.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X