X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit and baseball are crying: Ernie Harwell dies

Tribute video (YouTube).....

My heart too is literally breaking.

Starting as a 10 year old I listened to Harwell's Tiger broadcasts religiously, and it was common for fans to have him tuned in on radio's while attending the games. He was truly one of baseballs great broadcasters, right up there with Harry Caray.

His knowledge of the game and presentation in that wonderful Southern accent made him a baseball legend, and after his retirement a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame, the Radio Hall of Fame and the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame. Not too shabby.

Also a plus were his good works and how he treated fans; wonderfully. He always had time for kids like me who wanted a short chat, autograph and a picture with him - all of which I cherish like gold.

Perhaps appropriately Tiger Stadium's demolition was completed a few months before Ernie's death.

Thank you Ernie. You were one of a kind.

Trademark calls;

"That one is long gone!" (home run, with an emphasis on "long")
    "He stood there like the house by the side of the road, and watched it go by." (called strikeout)
    "Called out for excessive window shopping." (called strikeout)
    "It's two for the price of one!" (double play)
    "A fan from (insert city) will be taking that ball home today." (fan catches a foul ball)
    "The Tigers need instant runs." (Tigers behind in the late innings)

Detroit News....

Ernie Harwell will live on in the hearts of Tigers players and fans

Team's beloved broadcaster for 42 summers succumbs to cancer

Tom Gage and Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

Ernie has died.

After a battle against bile duct cancer, one he knew he would lose, Ernie Harwell died about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in his apartment at Fox Run Village and Retirement Center in the Detroit suburb of Novi, said his attorney and longtime friend, S. Gary Spicer. He was 92.

With his death, Michigan loses one of its most beloved figures, and baseball does as well.

For 55 years, Harwell was a major league broadcaster, 42 with the Tigers. He broadcast his last game Sept. 29, 2002.

It was Harwell's smooth and silky voice that taught generations of fans their first lessons about baseball, a sport he loved and respected.

And it was that love and respect that lives on in the hearts of the players, managers, journalists and fans who continue to pack Comerica Park and other parks across the country on a daily basis.
    >

Upon learning of Harwell's death, Tigers owner Mike Ilitch said:

"Ernie Harwell was the most popular sports figure in the state of Michigan. He was so genuine in everything that he did -- from his legendary broadcasting to the way he treated the fans and everyone around him. He was truly a gentleman in every sense of the word. Ernie has a special place in the hearts of all Detroit Tigers' fans and the memories he created for so many of us will never be forgotten.

"Baseball lost a legendary voice this evening and we have all lost a dear friend. Marian and I, and our entire organization, extend our deepest sympathies to Ernie's wife, Lulu, and to the Harwell family."
    >
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 May 2010, 12:37.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X