X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche 918 plug-in hybrid

Link....

Porsche with a Plug

The 918 Spyder will be the world's fastest plug-in hybrid.

For years, as Toyota and Honda toiled away at hybrid-electric vehicles, German manufacturers largely ignored electric-drive technology. But times have changed, and last week, Porsche committed to making a production version of what will likely be the world's fastest plug-in hybrid: a rip-roaring two-seat supercar with a top speed of 198 miles per hour and a zero-to-62-mph acceleration of 3.2 seconds.
    >
    The 918 Spyder is expected to cost around $600,000--several times as much as Tesla Motors's $109,000 2010 Roadster. But Porsche is also experimenting with all-electric versions of its entry-level Boxster as well. Industry analyst Rebecca Lindland of IHS Automotive says that high-performance hybrids from Porsche, as well as those from Audi and Mercedes-Benz, could pose a challenge to startup electric-vehicle makers.

"This puts tremendous pressure on Tesla and Fisker," Lindland says. "They're well-established carmakers with a lot of resources who are suddenly coming in to play in Tesla's very elite sandbox."
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Madness! The main idea of hybrids/EVs is to reduce CO2 emissions. This done by reducing fossil fuel use to a minimum, thus energy use. Can you imagine the energy needed to accelerate 1½ tonnes from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.2 sec. OK, most of this comes from the battery, but the battery is recharged from the petrol engine. Not even Porsche can upset the laws of thermodynamics. As I said, MADNESS, especially at 600 grand.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

You say madness, I hear COOL!!!
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

How can it be cool when it consumes so much energy? Energy is heat, not cool!

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
          Madness! The main idea of hybrids/EVs is to reduce CO2 emissions. This done by reducing fossil fuel use to a minimum, thus energy use. Can you imagine the energy needed to accelerate 1½ tonnes from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.2 sec. OK, most of this comes from the battery, but the battery is recharged from the petrol engine. Not even Porsche can upset the laws of thermodynamics. As I said, MADNESS, especially at 600 grand.
          I partially agree with the statement... Yes, cars like these are not what environmental friendliness is all about. But at 600 grand, there won't be that many of them driving around, and the development of these cars should advance technology for normal hybrid/electrical cars. So I see it more as experiments and technological steps, and perhaps even a way for companies to get some funds back from electrical/hybrid research. Furthermore it helps to get people move away from the idea that hybrid/electrical cars are slow and boring.

So if cars like these are helping the technology move forward and help people accept it more, why not? And it does look cool....
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
            I partially agree with the statement...

So if cars like these are helping the technology move forward and help people accept it more, why not? And it does look cool....
            Exactly
            Lawrence

Comment

Let's not forget it was race/limited production cars like Jaguar D that brought disc brakes to mainsteam cars; Indy cars for the turbochargers which now reduce emissions and rear view mirrors; ditto for fuel injection etc. etc.

Bottom line is that performance cars of all kinds have always driven auto tech advances.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
              X