Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek PADD => iPad

Ars Technica article.....

PADD = Personal Access Display Device, yet another Trek-tech that inspired today's reality

PADDs

TOS (1966)

TNG (1987)

DS-9 (1993)

iPad (2010)

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 August 2010, 14:28.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Star Trek has inspired many.
    one of the reasons why it shouldn't be allowed to die.

A new series, or Film-series....are they doing a sequel to last years flick ?

Bluetooth came from ST also iirc.

Someone made a wireless communicator that they could tap on and speak into.
    then bluetooth came along, and someone had the brilliant idea of putting it into your ear instead of on your chest.

Will get a pad/slate when they are powerful enough for me, not quite there yet, but next year probably...

Great Evolution pics Dr
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

It is funny... all those comments on the formfactor... but most of us saw it coming: it is just a flat touch capable monitor...

Granted, ST did use it very early on, well before the technology was there. The thing is: they show some well thought out things that can be useful. So people try to copy it in the real world. I believe there are some prototype devicesthat can diagnose diseases and so, much like the tricorders... So they are a nice inspiration source...

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Well, sadly the macfanboys over at Ars makes it a "ohh worship the mighty apple" article instead of a "Startek Inspires device makers" article

It feels like one of those payed advertisment articles
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Once the iPad has a front facing HD camera and gobs of disk space and processing power, then I'll buy

Comment

Speaking of TNG, here's a pic of me and Wil Wheaton from this past Saturday at Gencon.
            Attached Files

Comment

We got one with him and our middle son at a Trek convention what seems like ages ago, but our favorite story is about Marina Sirtis, who is totally HOT! - and totally nice.

Near the end of her autograph session she had a longish conversation with our then 9 y/o, and very charming, son who was a huge fan of TNG and especially Counselor Troi - he had just figured out girls don't have 'cooties' and were increasingly cool. She was his first celebrity crush, and it showed.

After the session she came into the cafeteria for a snack - unlike a lot of celebrities who avoided their fans. She looked around, walked over to our table, sat down next to the kid and chatted with us as we all ate. The kid was absolutely enthralled, barely able to take his eyes off her but still managing his part of the conversation.

When she left she put her arm around him, told the kid how sweet he was and gave him a kiss on his cheek. The kid blushed for the rest of the afternoon, and I don't think he's washed that spot since (he's 27)

Elder son was a bit jealous and our daughter just giggled her head off.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 August 2010, 09:45.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

That's an awesome story doc, now you made me jealous!!!
                I like Marina alot, and thought her and the doctor were the most attractive.

Toronto Fan Expo is in two weeks, let's see who's going to be there this time.

Anyway back on topic guys....

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                  Speaking of TNG, here's a pic of me and Wil Wheaton from this past Saturday at Gencon.
                  Hey he looks just like he does in The Big Bang Theory, Wil that is
                  paulw

Comment

Originally posted by paulw View Post
                    Hey he looks just like he does in The Big Bang Theory, Wil that is
                    I was gonna reply "Must....Killl.....Will....Wheaton !!!!!!!!!!!!"

but thought I'd be taken as a loooney
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

WHEATONNNNN!

Kevin

Comment

Yeah that was funny as heck!!

Look up Wil Wheaton Gencon on you tube and watch hi speech in 4 parts. It was awesome.

Elie

Comment

Working...
                        X