More school nonsense.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More school nonsense.....

The mind boggles - and I'm getting so sick and tired of the morons running our schools these days

A good reason why the pulled our grandson out of school and are home-schooling him - all 4 adults are doing it under a curriculum created by Michigan, but implemented and augmented by parents.

Link....

Schools ban bracelets promoting cancer awareness

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — Cancer has ravaged several of Ann Aberson's relatives, so she doesn't have a problem with her two teenage daughters wearing bracelets to raise awareness of breast cancer.

But their school principal does.

This week, Baltic High School, just north of here, became one of the latest across the USA to ban the rubber bracelets that has a message some say is in poor taste: "I love boobies."

The bracelets have caused controversy in schools in states including California, Colorado, Idaho, Florida and Wisconsin. Some districts allow students to wear them inside-out, and others ban them.

"When we had an assembly the first day of school, I basically told the students we are not insensitive to the cause," Baltic High Principal Jim Aisenbrey says. "I think everybody in the gym, including myself, has had a family member or relative or friend who has dealt with the issue. I do think there are more proper ways to bring this plight to the attention of people, and I don't think this is a proper way."

"I guess I never thought of them as offensive," Aberson says. Her grandmother and five of her grandmother's sisters battled breast cancer.

The bracelets, which sell for about $4 in stores, were created by Keep A Breast Foundation, a Carlsbad, Calif., non-profit group that seeks to increase breast cancer awareness among young people. Proceeds from sales support the foundation's programs, founder Shaney Jo Darden says. She says the bracelets are meant to spark discussions.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

How about running for council so you can make actual change... being retired, you should have lots of time to do so
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Because I'm still busy getting my partial foot amputation healed and have a small business to run.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

But I do love boobies!
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Me too! A dedicated T&A man
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Here is an alternate take on this:
            People are taking offense at an edgy breast cancer slogan -- but for all the wrong reasons

Why I do not "(heart) boobies"

People are taking offense at an edgy breast cancer slogan -- but for all the wrong reasons

By Tracy Clark-Flory

Schools across the country are banning rubber bracelets benefiting breast cancer activism -- all because they read, "I (heart) boobies." Administrators and parents are reacting to "boobies" as though it were a corrupting four-letter word from which we must protect our nation's youth. As though breasts themselves were obscene. As though they weren't a normal object of teenage lust. As though the First Amendment didn't exist.
            But, you know what? I'm offended by the bracelets, too -- just for a very different reason.
            A growing number of activist campaigns are attempting to raise awareness (and perhaps other things) by simplifying the fight against breast cancer as a fight to save breasts. Not people, but breasts. Of course the implication is that lives will also be saved, but "boobies" are treated as the real star of this show. There was the infamous "Save the Boobs" ad, with a pair of bouncing bikini-clad breasts; the Men for Women Now campaign, which features famous(ly fratty) male celebs waxing poetic about breasts; the push for women to reveal the color of their bra in a Facebook status update; and the Booby Wall -- just to name a few.
            I've always found this approach to awareness-raising rather tasteless, but it wasn't until my mom was diagnosed with metastasized stage IV lung cancer that they became truly enraging. Not only are women reduced to their breasts, but men are reduced to their love for breasts -- as though they will only pay attention to the cause if presented with a pair of luscious, jiggling tits. Over the last few months, I've watched my dad give my mom shots twice a day, methodically dispense her meds, drive her to appointments, wash her hair, rub her feet, sit with her in the hospital for hours and hours and hours on end. He does it without complaint; there is simply nothing he would rather be doing, given the circumstances. It isn't her lungs or her hair, now gone, that he loves -- it's her.
            That isn't to say that you don't think about the diseased body parts: I stared at my mom's bone scan until I had memorized the location of each of the glowing white spots scattered from femur to collar bone. When we got a digital copy of her CT-scan, I obsessively clicked through the cross-sectioned images of her body, examining her intestines, uterus, diaphragm, heart and lungs. She is so much more than the sum of her parts, though. When it's an incurable case, when the prospects of survival are bleak, you aren't thinking about how much you love "boobies," or whatever the diseased body part may be, you're thinking about how much you don't want your loved one to die.
            When death is truly knocking at your door -- and I'm not talking about early, uncertain cases -- most aren't thinking about how much they love their breasts, they're thinking about how much they love not being dead. They're thinking: Chop those things off, now. Women subject themselves to the pain of chemo and elect to watch their hair fall out; they do this not to save their precious secondary sexual characteristics, but rather to live another day, because it's worth it, breasts or no breasts.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
              That came across a lot better.
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Methinks some people objecteth too much. That take I'm sure is heart-felt, but it does smack of a belief that sexualizing things female is bad, even in a good cause. You see this in writings that lean to the uber-feminist point of view, and Salon is precisely where you'd expect to see them. OTOH you have folks who would say "get a life!, and save one."
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm inclined to feed that a bit of whistling past the grave humor to gin up attention and research money is not a bad thing.
                  But I thought she had an interesting alternate viewpoint.

I'm also pretty sure that in high schools more "I heart boobies" bracelets are worn as an innuendo with plausible deny-ability than any other reason.
                  Just going with my experience with kids that age.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Marge says those bracelets are among the least offensive things she's seen workin at the high school. Needless to say, she thinks that district has their head where the sun don't shine - and she's often more conservative than I am
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                      Marge says those bracelets are among the least offensive things she's seen workin at the high school....
                      Well I don't doubt that for a minute
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I (heart) Dicks!

New campaign to raise awareness for prostate cancer.
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

LOL, FFS UmFriend
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                          X