Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Gas Pipeline goes up in San Francisco, San Burino.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Gas Pipeline goes up in San Francisco, San Burino.

At least four people have been killed in an explosion which tore through a town near San Francisco, officials say.

Big big flames, and quite a few homes burnt out.

Maybe 6 dead so far, with probably more to come.

Must have been a quite big pipeline, but underground I expect.

no one knows yet how it happened.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Imagine what it would have been like if it had been Hydrogen and not natural gas!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Well it wasn't on the 6 O'Clock news on the BBC..? (52mins ago...)

@ Brian : Did you see the height of those flames ? Jebus that was some output there. I suppose they must have switched the pipeline off, but just for how long can it burn like that ?
      With H2 it might just pop ( or big arsed bang), lots of times, when there is enough air mixed to combust with the H2...
      Last edited by Evildead666; 10 September 2010, 10:56.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Sorry for those who lost there lives! I live 10 feet away from a pipe that runs from Alberta to Nova Scotia...if this thing ruptures I'm in deep shit!

Comment

No, you'll be here, there, over there, down there, and a few pieces around the corner....
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Whether natural gas or hydrogen burns or explodes depends on the ratio of the gas and oxygen. The real problem is hydrogen is a molecule which is so small that it is almost impossible to guarantee containment for long periods. A flanged joint would require 3 to 5 concentric O-rings for reasonable containment over a five-year period, assuming there are no mechanical movements, such as vibrations, earthquakes etc. With natural gas, this problem is much attenuated and leaks are relatively rare.

When an accident does occur, shutting down a section of pipeline is certainly not instantaneous. Most sections are between 10 and 30 km long, perhaps 1 m in diameter, if it is a big one, with the gas up to 200 bars. Such a volume of gas would take some time to burn, depending on the nature of the leak. "Pigging" a section of pipeline for maintenance purposes means that the gas that it contains must be dissipated. Ideally, this should be done by flaring but it is quite usual just to let that enormous volume of gas to dissipate into the atmosphere. Either way is polluting but the latter some 20-odd times worse!
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
            X