• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Lone Ranger" (2014) (pic)

The Lone Ranger

When: 2012

Studio: Disney

Director: Gore Verbinski (Pirates series, The Ring)

Screenplay: Justin Haythe (Revolutionary Road, The Clearing)

Reid/Lone Ranger: TBC

Tonto: Johnny Depp
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 September 2010, 16:24.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Johnny Depp and Tonto...seriously?
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Wasn't tonto an Indian ? ( or a Dog, not seen many of the Lone Ranger this side of the pond)
      I'm pretty sure the horse was Silver. (Thanks to "IT")
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Tonto was a Potawatomi warrior who was the childhood friend of Reid. He rescued Reid after his Texas Ranger unit was attacked by the Hole In The Wall gang, Reid being the sole survivor. That started the quest for payback.

Ranger's original horse was a chestnut mare named Dusty. She was killed an succeeded by a wild stallion Ranger saved from a buffalo attack: Silver, and Tonto's was a painted horse named Scout.

The radio serial started in 1933 here on Detroit and continued into 1954-55 IIRC, and shortly after the TV series started.

BTW: Reid's nephews son was Britt Reid - aka The Green Hornet.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 September 2010, 16:23.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Cheers for the background, might pop over to imdb later and read up a bit.
          And see how the new Green Hornet is doing..
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

I heard that The Lone Ranger killed Tonto......when he found out what kimosabe means
            FT.

Comment

FYI: quimo sabe = Potawatomi for faithful friend.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

If only TLR had known that
                FT.

Comment

Updated info -

The Lone Ranger

Release: 2014

Studio: Disney

Genre: action, adventure, Western

Director: Gore Verbinski (Rango, The Ring, Pirates series)

Producer; Jerry Bruckheimer (the CSI's, the Pirates series, too many to list)

Screenplay: Justin Haythe (Revolutionary Road, The Clearing)

Synopsis: The Lone Ranger is a masked former Texas Ranger who; with his Native American companion Tonto, trademark silver bullets and white stallion Silver, fights injustice in the Old West after the murder of his unit.

Cast -

Reid/Lone Ranger; Arnie Hammer (in negitiations) (Social Network; coming - J. Edgar)

Tonto: Johnny Depp

Rest TBD....
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

That casting would make Tonto at least 20 years older than Reid. Sounds more like childhood mentor than just childhood friend.
                    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

As to any questions about Johnny Depp being cast as a Native American; his maternal grandfather was Cherokee and on his fathers side he's part Navajo. The rest is German & Irish.

Age? Makeup/CG etc.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm part Cherokee on both sides, but Scottish and Irish parts means you'll never see me being mistaken for a full blood Native American.

The same goes for Depp. So yeah, you're probably right, they'll need a lot of makeup and/or CG to mask his appearance. That or some interesting backstory changes.
                        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Edit : Slightly off topic (completely)
                          I'm half welsh (Ma), a quarter yorkshire, and a quarter lancashire (Pa). (yay, grandad yorkshire and grandma lancashire, war of the roses in a romeo and juliet style).

I grew up in Tewkesbury, where there was a "Roses Theatre". Ma explained what it was back then.
                          The Severn Boar was quite a sight though. A Manhole cover got thrown at least 10m into the air with one 'puff'.
                          Last edited by Evildead666; 28 April 2011, 18:20.

Comment

What with my blondhair, blue eyes, fair skin & similar kids no one would guess that I'm part Cherokee either, great grandmother on dads side, but there you go.

We is all mutts
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

A lot of us are descended from the Viking Hoards who pillaged our country, otherwise I think we'd all be redheads, but Blonde hair and blue eyes we has been for quite some time

My uncle and auntie researched our lineage quite far back, but I haven't seen a family tree since I was last at my dads fathers place many a year ago. They did quite a lot of research, which I'll have to ask them about next time i'm over there.

Comment

Working...
                              X