Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akira (2013)

When: 2013

Format: live action in 2 films. Part 1 will cover volumes 1-3 of the manga, and Part 2 volumes 4-6.

Studio: Warner/Appian Way (Leonardo DiCaprio's group)

Director: Albert Hughes (The Book of Eli, From Hell, Menace II Society)

Executive producer: Leonardo DiCaprio (he's a fanboy)

Producer: Andrew Lazar

Writer: Katsuhiro Otomo (from his manga)

Adaptation: Albert Torres (Henry Poole Is Here)

Casting: TBD
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I wonder if they'll keep it in Tokyo or try to import the action to the US. I guess as long as DiCaprio plays the Colonel and dies at the end I'll be happy
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

There was early talk with a different crew of New Manhattan instead of Neo Tokyo, but everythings been reset from studio to production Co. No DiCaprio in the film, so far just Exec.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Warner has given Akira the green light.

Some things have changed -

Budget: at least $90 million

Filming: Q1 2012

Director: Jaume Collet-Serra (Unknown, Orphan, House of Wax)

Kaneda: Garrett Hedlund (tentative) (TRON: Legacy, Eragon, Georgia Rule)
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Tetsuo!!!!

Comment

The bastards...

[WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW...not that there's anything to spoil that Hollywood hasn't already spoiled]

Issue #1: The only Japanese person in the film so far is the The Colonel...the bad guy.

Issue #2: They are making it a two parter.

Issue #3: The chick from Twilight is Ky/Kei.

Issue #4: Even though all the main characters are Caucasian they are keeping the Japanese names. Except for the one Japanese person, who has an American military title.

Issue #5: The plot summary blows.

Issue #6: Kaneda is now a 20-something bar owner, not a teenage biker punk.

Issue #7: Tetsuo is Kaneda's brother who is taken by the military and then "mind controlled" by Akira, not a weak teenage punk who becomes power hungry and jealous when he gains incredible power.

Issue #8: The plot has a "9/11 conspiracy theory" feel to it more than a post-World War III feel to it.

Issue #9: Akira is an evil psionic entity trying to destroy the world, not a little kid who goes nuclear because he was poked and prodded by a secret government project until he exploded. Literally.

Issue #10: It just doesn't sound cool. Like the very soul of the original story, both movie and manga, was ripped out of it so the soulless, uncreative arse wipes in Hollywood could try and glean a profit off of name recognition. Oh wait, that's just about all Hollywood does these days.

I just can't take any more of this. I used to wonder why I don't watch a lot of new movie anymore, and then something like this hits and I remember. Hollywood is losing its touch. All the creativity is elsewhere these days and all Hollywood can do rehash past successes.

Comment

*Sigh*

I've never read the manga, but I loved the original film. I really wanted this new live-action version to be more to love and now it's going into the category "movies I wanted to love because I loved the source material that they've just shat all over."

Thanks Hollywood.
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Yup, remake-itis.
                Take something great, and turn it into shit.

For some reason there is plenty of people throwing money at films like this, just because of the heritage.

Good way to soil a good name.
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                X