Green in the South

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green in the South

When I moved to South Carolina I didn't expect it to be so "green". We have 16 collection centers in the county. Most can go into provided recycle bags.

I always found it impressive that a small'ish southern city has fairly expansive recycling services.

Today I went to the local park and they had two Eaton electric car charging stations.

Not too shabby for a small'ish southern city. If I had an electric car I would probably take a long walk there every morning.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Recycling is not expensive at all, it's a great source of income for companies, the expensive part is sorting of stuff which now the legislation is making (or starting to make, depending on the country) you do.

Here recycling started in a small town where some private company said: if you will sort your trash we will pick it up for free. Latter state legislated mandatory trash sorting so state owned trash companies can profit.

Also did some IT work for a company that did buyout of scrap metal once, they were not doing bad.

I'm not against green or recycling, just pointing out the facts.

Comment

True, but not a lot of areas in the US don't have recycling at this level yet. Most areas I know of only do limited recycling, like consumer plastics and paper.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

We get a huge plastic can that unsorted recyclables go into. A truck with a robotic arm picks it up, reads a barcode on the can ID'ing it as ours, and we get RecycleBank points that can be used for discounts at participating local businesses, and there are a lot of them. Points can be accumulated, and they recycle most everything including electronics.

Not much can't go in the can, and their center does the sorting.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X