No announcement yet.

Getting a new carry pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the legal-eagle view would be that if, as a public fund-taking school, you offer residency then denial of the students constitutional rights can't be part of the lease. That could include anything from highway funds to research grants or federal matching funds for state/local programs.

That likely would not be the case for a private school that didn't take such funds, unless you're talking about our Hillsdale College - a very conservative oriented school - or in states that have "College Carry" like Utah (or, possibly, Michigan in the near future.)
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 March 2011, 17:34.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      I think the legal-eagle view would be that if, as a public fund-taking school, you offer residency then denial of the students constitutional rights can't be part of the lease. That could include anything from highway funds to research grants or federal matching funds for state/local programs.
      The school I got my first degree in was not "public fund-taking" it was a government owned and operated school.
      Unless SCOTUS want's to allow guns in their courtroom they might want to rethink their Republican Talking Points.
      Last edited by cjolley; 11 March 2011, 20:36.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Not "Republican": gun's really are no longer a partisan issue. Most of the changes to Michigan's gun laws came under a Democrat governor and Senate.

And that "government owned and operated school" of yours is even more beholding to the Constitution and SCOTUS findings than a private school that takes govt. funding. Comes with the turf.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Well, I've had 2 range days and put 200 rounds through it.

Cons: so far my only complaints are the fixed rear sights (dead on out of the box, but still & getting replaced) and the takedown lever was a little stiff. The latter is mainly notable because it's so low profile & absent a "traction bump" - this better for concealed carry so it wont catch on anything. Some synthetic gun grease helped a lot, and I'm sure a little use will take care of the rest.

Pros: everything else.

Indoor range using .40 Winchester 165gr FMJ ammo (full metal jacket)

No malfunctions. Zero. Zip. Period. This thing shoots like a BMW drives.

The double action (DA) trigger is smooth as silk, one of the best DA's I've ever used. While rated at a 5.5 - 6.5 lb pull it feels more like 4 - 4.5. DA's cock and fire the gun in one operation vs. many autos where the gun is "cocked & locked" all the time with the trigger only needing a touch. The latter is great for rapid fire, but it opens some guns up to accidental discharge ("Glock Leg"). I prefer DA for carrying for the safety reasons.

No significant (or even percieved) muzzle jump; IP = AP. I admit to holding low at first anticipating a little because it's so light (25 oz), but nope. Recoil is well managed, especially for such a light gun.

VERY accurate!! 50 standing 2 hand shots @ 25 yards with all but 4 in the thorax ring in a man target - the other 4 were early shots while holding low that ended up in the abdominal ring. Bench groups ran 3.5" - 4", very good for a subcompact DA with a short barrel & sight radius. Can't wait to try this with the full-size conversion kit.

Carry ammo will be Remington Golden Sabre HPJ (High Performance Jacket) - expensive, but worth it.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 March 2011, 21:24.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

dslkfjdslkfjs
            ...Carry ammo will be Remington Golden Sabre HPJ (High Performance Jacket) - expensive, but worth it.

lol
            Last edited by cjolley; 14 March 2011, 21:58. Reason: A fool and his money are soon parted.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yes, expensive & worth it. In tests for law enforcement agencies .40 Golden Sabre has a 94% one-shot stop rate. That's all that counts for a self defense round. Also why so many police departments use the .40 S&W round.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Well, God knows I understand spending money on a hobby.
                But you'd probably be better off spending it on lottery tickets than special bullets that are marginally more accurate.
                Though, it's nice they won't corrode between now and when you get bored with them and burn through them at the target range.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

MOA accuracy doesn't matter when the average defensive shot is <5 meters - the advantage of Golden Sabre is that they deliver more energy on target than "normal" ammo. If you're in that position that's what matters, and having been in that position more than once....
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

To me it is mindboggling that you say you have been in that situation more than once...
                    But different places...
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                      To me it is mindboggling that you say you have been in that situation more than once...
                      >
                      First time I was 16 & had to stop an intruder from perforating my dad - city hoods thinking a small town farm with no full time police in the PM would be an easy mark. Now they don't care about locale, time or cops.

Ever hear of MS-13 - Mara Salvatrucha? They gang rape their female inductees as an initiation, and that's as mild as they get. Drugs, home invasions, contract murder and often they just hurt people for fun. Over 100,000 of them in various US cities, and I could take you to see their graffiti within 5 miles of here. Then there's the Latin Counts, Folks, Surenos and Jamaican Posse - and those are just the major Latino gangs that operate out of sw Detroit, with franchises in the suburbs. Add similar lists for other groups.

How endemic? Going back to the 1970's the biggest drug gang in Detroit was Young Boys Incorporated. New Jack City was based on them. Its gone downhill since. Then there are just flat out wacko's our psych laws don't allow authorities to commit until someone's seriously hurt or dead.

Getting the picture?
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 March 2011, 22:09.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Getting the picture?
                        Yes I do.
                        You should move your family elsewhere, they are not safe, even with you armed.
                        Shoot someone in that bunch with a pistol and others will come back for your family with automatic weapons.
                        Seriously.
                        Last edited by cjolley; 15 March 2011, 14:38.
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Wake up CJ, these gangs are even in Midwestern small towns now - even Minnesota & Wisconsin - thanks to open borders policies and too many years of leniency and indifference.

My cousin (Sheriff) has had runins with them in the upper peninsula, another (Constable) in Washington State 100 miles from Seattle. I'm sure OKC has a bunch being closer to the Rio Grande. Problem is a lot of city fathers don't like it talked about. Ssshhhhhh....

Know who the largest group of new CCW students are? Women, by a mile. Next are seniors and handicappers. All are preferred targets.

As for my family, all but Erik and the middle son have pistols. My daughter just got a 9mm S&W Military & Police for concealed carry, and her hubby is a former cop and carries too - a SIG P239 .40 like the one I've been carrying.
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 March 2011, 22:07.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Like Doc says you never know when you will run into a situation. When traveling I also have a rifle that I keep in my truck and I also carry a pistol.

7.62 x 51(.308) semi auto with a folding stock..

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I still say that if you guys feel that way about the risks you face you'd be better off wearing a lightening rod hat.

Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X