Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake in Japan

Someone needed to start the thread.
    Japan was probably more prepared than anyone else in the world.
    They are going to need it.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Yeah, it's been a rough couple days for people in Japan, especially in the northeast.

I'm just glad our lovable admin and my good friend was far away from the excitement.

Photos of the aftermath: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201....html?ref=asia
    Last edited by Jessterw; 11 March 2011, 18:53.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

This definitely was a biggy. Imagine if this had happen on the Japan mainland or California. There would not be much standing..
      paulw

Comment

Also shows a weakness of mass transit: no way out if its KO'ed like in Japan.

The reactors are a problem, but that shows why we should be transitioning from water cooled to meltdown-proof designs, of which there are several good options.

That said: yes, hope Sasq & his folks are well.

I see the US Pacific Command has mobilized the 7th fleet and directed the USS Reagan's battle group there to deliver supplies, render aid & help with logistics. US, China, Russia, UK and others are mobilizing rescue teams, a good start. They're going to need a worldwide effort.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

2 new Pacific quakes: off the west coast of Japan and Tonga.

Jeezzzz....
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Wonder if they'll be considered aftershocks??
            paulw

Comment

The one off western Japan may be since both it and the original quake are on the edge of a finger sticking off the North American tectonic plate (yes, northern Japan is on the NA plate)

Tonga is on a seam between the Australian and Pacific plates, but its in line with and connected to the NA/Pacific seam the first Japanese quake is on. More along it could indicate a western Pacific plate quake storm.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Explosion at the Fukushima plant has been reported at 6:30GMT. Radiation inside is above normal, workers are injured, radioactive cesium and iodium are rising.

Comment

Appears the outer shell is gone, possible internal as well.
                  now evac zone of 20km radius.

Lets just say I have very mixed emotions about all this.
                  Japan was my home for 10 years, and Tokyo and an immenent large quake was one of my reasons for leaving.

I think I need a strong drink
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Ah crap.
                    I was under the impression the problems at the Fukushima plant were sorted.

As CJolley states, and most news outlets also, the Japanese are very well trained, and used to this sort of event, but maybe not quite on this scale lately.

Back to the news.
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

They're saying Japan's main island could have moved as much as 8 feet - I don't know if it's the whole island or just parts of the northern landmass - and shifted the Earth's axis by as much as 4". Holy $#!*.

The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq View Post
                        >
                        ....an immenent large quake was one of my reasons for leaving.

I think I need a strong drink
                        Dad's Life Lesson #1: "kiddo - trust your gut"

Dad was a very practical, very wise, man - with a capital "M"
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 March 2011, 10:11.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I am sooo sad to see this happen, all the lives lost and I am one that really loves Japan and it's culture and people.
                          My main concern is the reactors, here's hoping they contain them otherwise we will have another catastrophe beyond belief

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                            I am sooo sad to see this happen, all the lives lost and I am one that really loves Japan and it's culture and people.
                            My main concern is the reactors, here's hoping they contain them otherwise we will have another catastrophe beyond belief
                            So do I otherwize the antinuke power brigade will have a field day..
                            paulw

Comment

there is a lot happening.
                              I am following along here http://www.news.com.au/world/magnitu...-1226019903430
                              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X