Burt Rutan retired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burt Rutan retired

The living aerospace engineering legend Burt Rutan retired yesterday.

No joke either. Sad to see him retire, but I wish him a great and relaxing retirement.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I'm surprised guys like him retire... and I can't imagine him being fully out of any developments. For sure he will have some advising role at the least.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

This was first announced last November, so it's not unexpected.

He's had major heart problems (open heart surg. for restrictive pericarditis in Feb.) so the Dr's and Mrs. Rutan had a say in it. Off to the spread in Idaho he goes....

Rutan pioneered the use of composites in aircraft, and now spacecraft what with the pressure hulls of SS2, Dream Chaser, Prometheus and New Shepard (at the least) being entirely composite. His list of other achievements would tak a book.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 April 2011, 23:45.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I know... He also opened a whole book of alternative aircraft designs (e.g. his personal asymmetric twin engine aircraft - named "boomerang" if I'm not mistaken) and was involved in so many record braking designs...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Hope he survives retirement, some don't
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Remember reading the book about Voyager way back - impressive.

mfg
            w
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
            X