Irene taking aim on NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irene taking aim on NYC

While rated a force 1 hurricane Irene is huge with large storm surges and a central pressure hanging around 954 millibars. Its path has paralled the coastline dropping as much as 16" of rain on coastal cities.

So far every state on the US Eastern seaboard has evacuated to at least 2 miles inland, and NYC has totally shut down; no subways, trains, taxi's, or bridges once the winds exceed 45mph. NYC/Long Island look to take a direct hit with storm surges of up to 8 feet over and above a new moon tide. Not good in an area that averages 16 feet above sea level (and that's skewed by Staten Island's hills.)

A few hours ago Irene hit NASA's Wallops Island, Virginia spaceport and reports are that there is extensive flooding from the storm surge, including the assembly building where Orbital's Taurus II and Cygnus ISS resupply test spacecraft are being integrated. Cygnus just arrived 2 days ago.

Irene from ISS
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 August 2011, 21:13.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I hope that no one is harmed during the storm.

Comment

3 dead so far, far more if the evacuations hadn't happened.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Having had electricity cuts since 11 July, due to the munitions explosion, lasting from 2-12 hours at any hour, I sympathise with those whose power has been cut. One report I saw was that a guy in VA is not expecting power to be restored in under a week. That must be terrible. I also saw that outlying parts of NYC, such as Staten Island, are already cut off, even though there haven't been abnormal winds yet (due in about 7-8 h from now).
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

More tjan 1 million without power so far just in Virginia. No overall totals yet.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Saying on the news right now that its oicked up in strength and will be at NY's front step in 1hr.

Time to switch on the TV.
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Govenor of New Jersey is estimating damages in the $billions.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I think he may be overstating the damages a bit.
                The insurance companies for North Carolina (NC) have estimated damages to cost them about 300 Million dollars.
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Some posturing for federal aid going on to be sure, and NY & others are doing the same. That said -

NJ has a lot of coastal damages but the biggie is inland flooding, which is where they took a big hit. Lots of lowlands that are highly populated with dozens of small, older dams that are under a lot of strain from 8" of rain in the week before Irene dumped on them. Same problems exist in upstate NY, and the reports out of there don't look good at all.

We'll see.
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 August 2011, 13:42.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Inland flooding in upstate NY and in NJ looks pretty severe - one place reported 20'. It'll be a week or so before we know the real damages as this plays out.

News reports here say a real losses + economic losses total of >$40 billion. At least 21 dead so far - low because of the good response to evacuation efforts.

Several state Governors literally told residents on TV "if you stay, please write your name, social security number and next of kin phone number on your body with an indelible pen so we can easily ID your remains."
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 August 2011, 19:16.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Ah, a natural disaster named after my daughter!
                      <-- proud dad!
                      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

LOL at both last posts.
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

All the flooding hasn't creasted and nit all areas have been surveyed yet, but damage estimates are $7 billion insured and ~$20 billion uninsured so far. Hell, they're still pulling people off rooftops.

North Carolina

NYC (Brooklyn)

NYC (Queens)

NY (upstate fire house)

New Jersey

Vermont
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X