Goodbye textbooks....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye textbooks....

Zeeland, Michigan is in a county along the eastern coast of Lake Michigan.

Detroit Free Press....

In Zeeland, an iPad for every high school student in the district

ZEELAND -- As students walk through the halls of Zeeland West High School, their backpacks are a little lighter. Stacks of paper and some textbooks have been replaced by the Apple iPad -- one for every high-schooler in the district. That's 1,800 iPads between the two high schools.

And it's just the beginning for Zeeland Public Schools, which embarked on an ambitious project this fall that will give a tablet to every student in grades 3-12 -- the only district in Michigan to do so.

The program represents one of the most aggressive in the country and has garnered national attention. With each student taking responsibility for one, the school uses the iPad for assigning classwork, testing and communicating with students. Some teachers have gone paperless.

Just two weeks into the experiment, administrators already are calling the iPad program a game-changer.

"They think technology now -- live, breathe and eat it," said John Holwerda, assistant principal at Zeeland West High School. "We're coming to their world, instead of them coming to ours."

Carl Howe, research director at Boston-based Yankee Group, a technology advisory firm, said: "What you're seeing here is the evolution of education past the PC era."

'It's all in our iPad'

In Brandy Navetta's freshman literature class, her students follow along as a narrator reads from "The Scarlet Ibis," the short story by James Hurst.

"What's unique about Doodle?" Navetta asked about the narrator's sickly little brother.

Freshman Tyler Johnson takes his index finger and highlights a passage in the e-book on his Apple iPad, turning it yellow.

"He seemed all head, with a tiny body that was red and shriveled like an old man's."

For Navetta, the iPad program at Zeeland schools has allowed students to participate more directly in the instruction and allowed her to focus more time on teaching and less on management tasks.

Last week, her class used an iPad app to study from flash cards for a quiz on literary terms. The iPad saves classroom time that would have been spent making flash cards by hand, she said.

"Now we can spend more time doing critical thinking -- applying those terms on those flash cards," Navetta said.

And students use collaborative iPad apps to help coach each other toward finding the correct answer, she said.

"It's more student-led," Navetta said. "The students can learn by doing and exploring, as opposed to just being fed instruction."

The students, who are able to bring the iPads home and use them there as they please, have taken to the new devices easily, administrators said.

"It's helped us become more organized," said freshman Nick Jasch. "We're not losing papers. It's all in our iPad.

"And you don't have to carry around a million books in your backpack."

Lessons on video

Administrators view the iPad program as an experiment in educating today's students for the technology-dependent world they'll graduate into.

The $1.3 million for the program comes from a $20-million bond issue approved by voters in 2010 for school improvements, said Superintendent Dave Berry.

Two weeks in, teachers are just starting to explore the myriad ways they can leverage the iPad platform.

Some have recorded entire lessons on video, making the lessons available to students when the teacher is out of the building -- a step that avoids a day of lost instruction. If a student misses a day of class, he or she can use the iPad to see what was missed and download the assignments at home over WiFi.

"The community has stepped forward and said they want this technology in the schools," said Jeff VanHuis, a shop teacher at Zeeland West. "It's up to us teachers now to use it and show how viable it can be in all subject areas."

In his advanced metalworking class last week, students used the iPads to shoot instructional safety videos of each other at each station in the shop. Once the videos are captured and edited -- all on the iPad -- they'll be played back for the whole group.

While at school, students are limited on what Web sites they can access. Filters block Facebook. Skype and Twitter are not blocked.

At home, the students can be limited by controls placed by parents.

Expanding the program

Middle-schoolers will get iPads in the winter. When grades 3-5 get iPads next fall, the devices will be kept in the classroom. Students in kindergarten through second grade will have access to a cart of the iPads next fall.

The iPads are insured by the district. Parents can purchase an additional policy for $50 per year per iPad, which covers all theft, loss or damage.

Six iPads were reported broken in the first two weeks of the program, said Stephen Braunius, director of instructional technology. None have been reported lost or stolen.

Parents can opt to have the iPads left in the school, with the student checking them in and out from the library.

Students have been told that upon graduation, the iPad that they've used through their schooling will go back to the district. If the schools don't need the older models back, a program to sell the iPad to the student at a discounted rate is possible, Braunius said.

Schools watching Zeeland

Although the iPads can become an occasional distraction -- a student last week traipsed through the halls playing "Angry Birds" -- teachers say it's no worse than other low-tech distractions in class.

Other Michigan schools have had smaller iPad programs.

Ludington Public Schools started a pilot program last year, placing iPads in two classrooms -- second grade and kindergarten.

Ludington Superintendent Cal DeKuiper said the grant-funded program was such a success that the district is investigating ways to embark on a program like Zeeland's.

Apple does not offer districts bulk discounts on the iPad. The district pays a slightly reduced education price for the tablets -- the same price that any individual student or educator would pay for just one iPad. Apple does offer savings in bundled software for the devices, Braunius said.

The iPads have been particularly attractive to districts because of their ease of use and adaptability to students of all grades and learning abilities, said Carl Howe, research director at Boston-based Yankee Group.

"There's something very magnetic about the experience," Howe said. "For anyone who is at all uncertain about technology, it removes that barrier between you and the technology."

There are limitations, though. Without a physical keyboard, it can be cumbersome to type long papers on the device using just the touch screen. Printing from the devices also is limited, especially at home.

But administrators and teachers are encouraged by what they've seen early this semester.

"You walk around just two weeks in, and we have teachers doing stuff with technology that we haven't been able to do before," Braunius said. "This is the stuff you dream about."
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 September 2011, 02:22.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I don't like this...

Two years ago, I gave some lessons in a highschool. The students already had everything on paper, so they were not taking notes at all. When you don't have to take notes, you don't pay that much attention (but having to take too much notes also is not good). As they were not use to writing things down, they did not know things I mentioned on the side (that were not in the printed notes). And they did not know it the second time either (even though it was then on a test).

As I was teaching computer sciences, and it were things they were interested in (networks, ...), I managed quite well to keep their attention. But I can imagine that in other courses, makes teaching nearly impossible.

I'm not against progress, and having to carry tons of papers is also in a dire need of an update... but distilling what is important from a lesson/talk and taking notes are important things that the students are not learning anymore. Recent studies have already shown that Goolge makes the brain more lazy, as people know they can look up everything and find it quickly, so no need to remember. This is going along the same lines.

Perhaps the future depicted in Wall-E is not so far fetched...
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Re: notetaking.

More and more districts around here already record lectures and post them for download/streaming from the buildings own website, so the subtleties aren't lost.

More and more districts also are fully networked between buildings and integrated to the room level so lectures and other content can be shared just by the teacher entering a code in his/her phone. The content is put up on digital whiteboards. This right down to the elementary school level, and it's not just "rich" districts.

Michigan has been leading the charge on a lot of this, and our new governor is hell bent on reforming education - putting more emphasis on the kids and a wide array of materials and equipment than just providing job security for the employees. Tenure reform is on the way.

Magnet & charter schools are getting a big boost, as are schools who want to forego state funding and ditch the strings that come with it, and a statewide virtual district is being set up for failed/failing schools & districts. Once the cobwebs have been cleared these schools can then return to local control.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 September 2011, 03:59.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Oh! Bugger! My iPad has broken down and I've lost all my notes

Hell! My iPad's battery has gone flat

S**t! Someone has stolen all my English, Maths, French, and ALL my other notes

Damn! There's no tactile feel like on my laptop keyboard; my rate of typing errors has tripled, even though I'm much slower.

Sorry, teacher, I couldn't do my homework; I dropped my iPad and it no longer works.

Write? On paper? With a pen? I've never learnt to do that.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

You do realize that iOS devices can be sync'd & backed up in a few minutes? This includes all downloaded & saved files, content, settings, the OS and, if you want, encryption. This is filed by user name and the devices serial number, so sorting on a network storage is no biggie.

Have the little mongrels sync them from their workstation last hour.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sorry Miss, my dog ate my iPad

I daresay they'll be using the cloud to sync everthing they do, so losing the device should be nothing more than a temporary inconvenience.
            FT.

Comment

Stuff like this has been going on for a long time. A school district in the KC area once gave all the students Palm devices with all the textbooks preloaded...some time ago.

Sync'ing every few minutes has two big flaws for a school. 1) internet bill (10k students + staff all sync'ing isn't cheap), 2) storage fees (cloud space ain't free). Either of which could drain the funding for the project quickly.

The main problem, as I see it, with an iPad is the lack of locks and controls. While kids are on campus you can firewall and proxy them into submission, but off campus they can load up whatever crap they want and then bring it back to school.

And there there's hardware. iPads aren't exactly built to be tough. They are made to be highly functional and pretty. And let's face it, high school and middle school kids that aren't exactly delicate. Whether you replace/repair them in house or pay for some special Apple service, the repair costs and warranty/support fees can't be pretty.

All that said, I'm not against a tablet (of any kind) in schools. I would have loved to have one back in the day. I just don't think most consumer devices are a good fit.

Someone needs to make an education version of a tablet. While it won't be as pretty, if it can survive 5 years of torture with a low break rate it would be worth the cosmetic price. And something that can sync to district servers would be a huge cost savings. But most importantly, putting on good controls would be a must. Something that can lock kids into a limited number of apps and books, preset according to their schedule, to reduce distraction and keep them from bringing in illicit materials even when off campus.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It's already past anything I ever expected.
                ChooChoo is the only student in her fifth grade class of 24 that can write in cursive.

Switching to electronic documents doesn't seem that far off of where we already are.
                I admit I am a bit skeptical though. I like paper books.

And yet, they seem to be doing math, science, and social studies that I didn't do untill the seventh or eighth grade in the early sixties. So go figure...
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Teacher: "Do you know cursive writing?"
                  Bart Simpson: "Hell yeah!" (with an excited look)

In Belgium, higher institutions (universities, ...) are complaining that the new students don't know anything anymore. While they are seeing more indepth material then we did, it doesn't stick. After graduating, they seem to have forgotten everything. The universities are complaining that the level is going down and are blaming recent reformations.
                  I'm all for using ereaders and whatnot to replace paper books (less weight to carry, easier to look up things, ...), but the whole study/learning process is more than just reading and playing around a bit with premade experiments.

As for practical things: I can't understand why so many advanced applications are so into the iPad (previous news item was about it being used inflight by pilots, to contain charts, etc.). The professional market is not without a reason. Use of consumer devices in a professional setting will IMO be a costly solution in the long run (support, damages, ...). There are tougher tablets out there, but they are of course more expensive.
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

There's bound to emerge a new generation of "milspec" mobile devices specifically designed for student use. Tough and of distinct design to make selling of stolen units more difficult.

Expect wireless keyboards to be built into desks in the not-too-distant future.

And it will still be cheaper by leaps and bounds than traditional paper textbooks.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                      In Belgium, higher institutions (universities, ...) are complaining that the new students don't know anything anymore. While they are seeing more indepth material then we did, it doesn't stick. After graduating, they seem to have forgotten everything. The universities are complaining that the level is going down and are blaming recent reformations.
                      I'm all for using ereaders and whatnot to replace paper books (less weight to carry, easier to look up things, ...), but the whole study/learning process is more than just reading and playing around a bit with premade experiments.
                      This is a fear I have too from helping her with homework.
                      The text books seem to contain absolute MOUNTAINS of information. Most of it poorly organized. As if the textbook company was being paid by the factoid.

What the heck is the question "Describe the effect of trade routes between geographic areas on the diversity of items that Native Americans had access to" doing as one question, of eight, on a homework assignment covering Pre-Columbian native American tribes IN FIFTH GRADE.
                      If even one kid in the class can name who discovered the new world by the end of the year I will be amazed. Why, because that will have been crowded out of their brains by exposing them, at least briefly, to every single thought that ever crossed any academics mind

And giving them access to the internet via ipods may just make this problem worse.
                      Why know anything if you can just look it up?
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I don't really get the "lectures are recorded/videotaped" arguments in a taking-notes context. if you completely miss a (e.g. early morning) lecture, you can probably invest the time to listen to the whole thing again, but for refreshing ones memory glancing over notes must be much, much more time efficient.

W
                        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                        "Lobsters?"
                        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

OTOH, I'll bet it wouldn't be that hard to develop a shorthand enabled note taking app for those platforms.

It'd be funny and ironic if all this brought shorthand back.
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                            If even one kid in the class can name who discovered the new world by the end of the year I will be amazed.
                            Leif Erikson, of course. Though it could be argued that the decedents of the Native Americans found it first, we just don't know any names

The irony of tablets is that virtual keyboard stink. The best input method is a stylus and some good handwriting software. If that became the norm then people would learn how to write better. Though a near field Bluetooth keyboard, or a built-in dock, would do the trick too.
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I found at uni that if I re-typed the notes I took in lectures I actually remembered it a LOT better.
                              I was transcribing my notes for a guy who was legally blind, but could see in certain colours, and not others.

I spent a few lectures where we weren't writing notes asleep, I just passed out, multiple times during the lecture.
                              Warm, dark, lecture rooms weren't good for me, but I got through it ok.

Writing notes is a skill that should be learnt by everyone.
                              Where I worked last, I started a book with all the info i needed. I didn't have to keep asking people how to do stuff.
                              One guy who started at the same time as me, refused to have a note-book, or do one himself.
                              He royally pissed off everyone, asking the same F-ing questions, day in, day out. it go so bad that they eventually just told him to F-off, since they were basically doing his work for him, day in, day out.

I feel bad for the kids of today.
                              My dad refused to get a games console when we were young, and brought home a computer, since it could do more than just play games. I got to learn BASIC. My two brothers learnt machine code! And this was when my biggest brother was in his early teens.

Kids today expect to have Google for life. If they need the info, they can google it.
                              Thats great, but take them somewhere without their mobile phone, or no reception, and they're screwed.

And even if they deny it, Exams in the UK and elsewhere have gotten easier over the years, so that the kids would get 'great' marks, and show that the education system worked.
                              We'll probably be fending off young illiterate 'zombies' by the time we retire.
                              Last edited by Evildead666; 20 September 2011, 17:30.
                              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                              X