Smith & Wesson "Governor"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith & Wesson "Governor"

Just had a session with the new Smith & Wesson Governor revolver.

Compact for carry - 2.75" barrel, 6-shooter, Tritium night sight, Double Action/Single Action - and it can shoot any or all of the following in a single loading;

.45 Long Colt (like westerns)
    .410 shotgun (deer slug or bird/buck-shot)
    .45 ACP (like .45 autos use)

Yes, a shotgun pistol. 4"- 6" buckshot patterns at 10 meters. It kicks, though technique is very helpful, and it should be brutal at close range. Long range accuracy not so good because of the short barrel.

The Governor came about because of the success of the Taurus Judge being issued to Brazilian judges and magistrates for their personal protection. Taurus brought it here and now .45/.410's are a major emerging segment. IMO the Governor is a better choice; 6 shots v. 5 for The Judge, lighter, slightly smaller, etc.

Major ammo makers are also coming out with special .410 loadings for pistols like the Governor and the Judge - particularly buckshot loadings that won't be excessively scattered by their rifling and hotter slug loads.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 October 2011, 17:58.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

How come you can use different calibre ammo? Is that because the .41 is granular rather than a pellet/bullet? Why use the smaller calibre?
    FT.

Comment

The .410 label is somewhat misleading. It fits a .45 chamber because of the size of its brass and not its bullet diameter. Whatever, the .45/.410 pistols are gaining a rep as 'dark alley' guns, especially if the first two rounds are 000 or #4 buckshot and the last four are .45 ACP's.

Why the buckshot? A massive wound channel if your aim is centered, and a wide enough shot pattern to turn a near miss into a hit. Why the .45's? In case their clothing is heavy enough to degrade the 3-8 pellet impacts & reduce penetration.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 October 2011, 00:15.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X