• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Dodge Dart

An enlarged version of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta

Wheelbase: 106.4-inches
    Length: 183.9 inches
    Width: 72 inches
    Engine: 2-liter 16-valve Tigershark; 1.4-liter Turbo 16 valve or 2.4 liter 16 valve Tigershark, both w/MultiAir
    Output: 2.4 MultiAir - 184 hp at 6,250 rpm; others 160 bhp
    FWD trans: 6-speed (manual or automatic); 9-speed ZF automatic
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 January 2012, 23:22.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yea...this is gonna be nearly as big a flop as Chrysler bringing in the Fiat 500.
    An Alpha Romeo badged as a Dodge.
    Won't last more than 2 production years.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

They scheduled 50,000 sales and sold 16,000.

The problem with the 500 is threefold

1) its marketing campaign didn't get into full swing until September, well after its intro.

2) its Fiat label hurts it.

3) its size class is not one that sells in the US. Ever. Period. Don't even go there.

You can fix #1 and #2, but not #3.

OTOH - Chrysler's sales were up 26% for the year (37% in December), the Dart is large enough to sell in the US, it has decent looks and the Dodge branding will help.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 January 2012, 00:25.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm now at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jep/Ram (/Fiat) now (was...um excused from the GMC dealer I was at).
        We're doing awesome in sales, Can barely keep em on the lot....but this is Wyoming...It's all about oil fields and coal mines and trucks here.
        The Alpha and Fiat are gonna fail here....
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Alfa Romeo, the only cars that rust in the catalogue!
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

They're doing a lot better now Brian

Shame you don't seem to be getting the 3L V6, thats a beautiful singer, and has loads of power.
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I would note that Dart will be made here, and US manufacturers have done quite well with corrosion mitigation - especially the last couple of decades. What with the snow/ice in the northern and mountain states and the heavy use of salt on the roads there was no choice.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It is not such a problem here either, but still people remember how it used to be. Some manufacturers have gotten a reputation that is hard for them go get rid off.
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Not so much of a problem here - Fiat and Alfa have been out of our market so long any memories are gone, plus if it's using a favored US brand the effect is near zero.

US drivers largely remember the Dart fondly - especially those with the nearly indestructable 170/198/225 cid Slant-6 engine, which with care ran damned near forever. I have a friend who has an early 1970's vintage Slant-6 Dodge pickup that's still on the road & running perfect

Cripes - if could find a Slant-6 vehicle in good shape today I'd probably buy it
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 January 2012, 10:51.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

More details in the Detroit News. No mention this time of the ZF 9 speed.

As great a year as Chrysler had in 2011 after introducing 16 new vehicles, Dodge brand President and CEO Reid Bigland knows compacts are one area where it needs to improve.

So the rejuvenated automaker, which saw sales increase 43 percent last year, unveiled the new 2013 Dart compact four-door sedan at the Detroit Auto Show Monday. It enters the country's largest segment, one that is expected to grow as more people downsize in the face of increasing fuel prices.

Affordability, reliability and great fuel economy are just the minimum barriers for entry in the compact class; the automaker's new entry in the market will focus on customization and features, some of which it claims are not currently available in this class.

Bigland said the automaker was able to start with a clean sheet of paper when it designed the car that will replace the Caliber.

The Dart is based on a platform from Alfa Romeo, which is part if Italian owner Fiat.

The car will be available with three engine choices, as well as three transmissions. Five trim levels, 12 exterior colors and 14 color and trim choices, six wheel options and five model trim levels, will give buyers thousands of choices to customize their vehicle. A reconfigurable instrument panel offers hundreds of customization options.

It will also come standard with 10 airbags and class-exclusive safety features including rear available cross-path detection.

As is becoming the norm these days, the Dart will offer plenty of connectivity options. A downloadable cellphone app will allow owners to locate their car in a parking lot, and start and unlock their vehicles.

The Dart borrows a feature first seen in the Journey crossover - under-seat storage.

Bigland said the Dart may have compact dimensions on the outside, but it has midsize space inside.

Dart's three four-cylinder engines are:

— Base 2.0-liter, 160 horsepower, 145 pound-feet torque

— Optional 1.4-liter, 160 horsepower, turbocharged using Fiat's Multi-Air technology

— Optional 2.4-liter, 184 horsepower, Multi-Air

Bigland said that while final figures are not yet available, Dodge expects the Dart to be rated at as high as 40 miles per gallon on the highway.

Dodge is also hedging its best on transmission offerings. A six-speed manual will be standard, but it will offer two automatic options: a conventional six-speed automatic and six-speed dual-clutch automated manual. Some drivers have been turned off by the new automated manuals, which may be why Dodge will give automatic drivers a choice.

Prices will start at $15,995.

The Dart will be built in Belvidere, Ill., where the Caliber is currently built.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

we have the rear half of a dodge dart sitting downstairs.. looks pretty, but it is just a shell we have here, for fitting the power trunk module
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Not liking the rear tail lights that they now have on all their cars.

Comment

I think we do those too
                          everything is switching to LED lighting, except the headlights at this time
                          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

The reason the front headlights won't switch to LED is because they need to generate a bit of heat to melt snow and ice. LED's won't help because it's cold light.
                            I have no doubt the car will sell like hot cakes. It is a beautiful car and if I was in my young days again, I'll buy one for sure

Comment

LED headlights are already available, and unlike small units they generate more than enough heat to clear the lens.
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 January 2012, 12:03.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X