Another famous singer dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another famous singer dead

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, a fantastic baritone, famous for his Wagnerian roles and, above all, for German-language lieder (Schubert, Wolf etc.). He was the leading authority for Schubert's lieder, from the frivolous to the most serious.

The respected German baritone Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, famed for his performances of Schubert's song cycle Winter Journey, dies at the age of 86.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Thought you might be interested in this, Brian.

WDAV is my local classical station. They host NPR's World of Opera and are doing a short tribute to Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau this Saturday. The radio station can be streamed online for free so if you don't mind staying up late it give it a listen.

Following this is World of Opera. They are doing a production of Joseph Hadyn's "La Vera Costanza" from Belgium.

PS - Their 128k streams sound very good. Not quite CD quality, but very close.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks for that, Jammy! The youtubes were interesting. In particular, the Erlkômig is a great historical extract of the recordings DFD made with Gerald Moore, his favourite accompanist. The piece is extraordinarily difficult for the pianist as he is responsible for matching volume to the singer and as it goes from fff to ppp and back agin, this shows GM's mastery of his art, as well as DFD's of his. GM wrote an autobiography, "Am I too loud?" that is a humourous anthology of anecdotes regarding all the world-class singers he accompanied. Well worth reading if you can get hold of it.

As you say, not the best time for streaming and my IT equipment is too noisy and low sound quality for serious listening.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
      X