Ernest Borgnine dies at 95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernest Borgnine dies at 95

Where do you even begin? Major films, McHale's Navy, Airwolf etc. etc. etc.

Well done Sir, well done.

Current news summaries and breaking stories about politics, business, health, sports, technology, and entertainment. | Newser

Oscar-winning film star Ernest Borgnine dies in LA at age 95

Ernest Borgnine, the beefy screen star known for blustery, often villainous roles, but who won the best-actor Oscar for playing against type as a lovesick butcher in "Marty" in 1955, died Sunday. He was 95.

His longtime spokesman, Harry Flynn, told The Associated Press that Borgnine died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his family by his side.

Television fans loved Borgnine as the scheming Navy officer in the sitcom "McHale's Navy." Borgnine was also known as the heavy who beats up Frank Sinatra in "From Here to Eternity" and one of the thugs who menaces Spencer Tracy in "Bad Day at Block Rock."
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

RIP... Always loved his work.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

RIP, Earnie.
      Brought countless hours of entertainent to my life, most recently as the records keeper in RED.

First Andy, now Earnie...sad week...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

He was pro-military, particularly Navy, when that wasn't the thing for Hollyweird types to be. He enlisted in the Navy in WW-II, serving on destroyers, and never forgot it.

He was also a helicopter pilot, and just another Joe to anyone who met him at an airport. If he had been told that he could only keep one award, the Oscar would have gone in the trash and he would have held onto one from the 1950's; the Blue Angels made him an Honorary Team Leader.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 July 2012, 23:22.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

RIP. Another one goes. It seems to be the season for the oldies moving on. Soon there won't be any left and what is aren't a patch on those ones
          paulw

Comment

Working...
          X