No announcement yet.

My very rough patch (robo-leg coming!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats Doc, and best of luck making the adjustment.

ATB,

T.
    FT.

Comment

It's about time.

Seriously now, way to go. Good luck with the further recovery and adjustment. May you drive? Can, or will you be able to, walk stairs (almost as good) as normal?
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
        Great news!
        Curious: can you (legally) drive a normal car?
        Thanks guys

Yes, amputees can legally drive a "normal" car. In fact, studies in the US and Canada show that the difference in reaction times etc. between those using a left-pedal brake/accelerator (for right leg amputees) and those driving an unmodified car using a prosthesis are imperceptible. These are also little different than "normal" drivers.

Believe it or not, pressure on the bottom of my prosthesis translates through it and presses on the tissues over the cut nerve endings. This (in me) is interpreted by my brain as a distinct feeling of pressure on my (missing) big toe & ball of my foot. This phantom sensation feels very much in the correct location in my mental 3D map.

When practicing driving in the simulator I just regulate the pedal pressure with my knee instead of my ankle.

I can already do stairs normally - up and down. I've already done up to 10, and can go down several backwards too.

This rehab team doesn't play games.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 November 2012, 07:55.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Next week you'll start parkour.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

No, I think parkour is going to take a bit longer
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Congratulations. Keep up the good work.

Interesting info on the way your brain reinterprets the pressure sensations.
              It's a marvelous thing.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Rio awaits you, Doc!
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Awesome news Doc, congratulations!!

Just in time for Thanksgiving

Comment

Yup - Thhanksgiving will be special, my daughter is cooking up enough food for Sherman's Army, but tonite it's HOT PEPPER & 5-MEAT PIZZA!!!

Yummmm....a treat of junk food at last after 11+ weeks, then back to my low carb regime.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 November 2012, 13:54.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Congrats Doc. When is your first shooting on a range coming?

Comment

• Very possibly next week - my daughter and son and law both bought new handguns they want to try & I'll probably tag along. She bought a Ruger LCR (light compact revolver, .357 Mag, 17.1 oz polymer & made for concealed carry) and he just bought another Kimber, this time a Tactical Custom II (.45).

Ruger LCR

Kimber Tactical Custom II
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 November 2012, 19:17.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• Are you tempted to make "in leg" gun holster like Robocop?

Comment

• Robocops in-leg "holster" was in the upper 1/3 of his thigh and my prosthesis is the lower 50% of the lower leg, so while a neat ankle holster for the .380 Ruger LCP or 9mm Ruger LC9 is very likely a thigh holster isn't likely. Normal carry will continue to be in my custom CrossBreed SuperTucks.

Besides, under-garment thigh holsters are a female item typically worn under skirts. I'm not female, don't wear skirts, and I'm not a Scot.
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 November 2012, 21:17.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

• LOL. But the thought crossed your mind!

Comment

• I've been reading your posts (logged off) for a while and I really am happy for you. I'm really glad that you just keep on at it and it seems genuine too. Keep it up, I don't know what else to say other than it makes me feel good to read your posts and it's inspiring!

Oh, and I wouldn't have bought a gun myself.
                                I would have bought a Cheness Type 12 Katana - "Tenchi" - 9260 Silicon Alloy Spring Steel Katana.

I like the classic weapons, what can I say?
                                Titanium is the new bling!
                                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                                X