Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA announces Mars plans

1) a second rover based on the Curiosity platform

2) humans orbiting Mars in the 2030's - no boots on the ground.

Sorry, but to me 2) seems like getting just a light kiss at the door after the 3rd date

NASA will send second Mars rover in 2020, send humans in 2030s

The administration will play small roles in Europe-led missions in 2016, 2018.

NASA has announced plans for a second Mars rover to launch in 2020, while maintaining small roles with missions planned by the European space agency. If all goes as planned, NASA hopes to put astronauts in orbit around Mars by the 2030s, per the wishes of President Obama.

The current Mars budget is $581.7 million, but back in February was set to be cut by over $200 million, according to two scientists briefed on the matter who spoke to the Associated Press. According to the AP, the European Space Agency spoke to Russia about filling the US’s vacancy in the programs, which would map sources of methane on Mars and drill into the ground for evidence of life.

In a press event at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union, NASA associate administrator for science John Grunsfeld announced that the administration will in fact play roles in the two ESA missions. NASA will provide the UHF communications systems for the 2016 mission, and in 2018 will provide a molecular analyzer for the ExoMars rover. Grunsfeld noted that the Russian space agencies will constitute a “major partnership” in both ESA-led missions.

As for the NASA-led mission to launch in 2020, Grunsfeld noted that NASA will begin work on the rover imminently, with the same team that worked on the Curiosity rover wandering Mars right now. He noted that the spare rover parts designed for the Curiosity mission would become "prime for the 2020 mission."

Looking beyond the next decade, Grunsfeld stated support for President Barack Obama’s desire to send humans to Mars. In a press release related to Grunsfeld’s announcement, NASA stated that “the 2020 mission will constitute another step toward being responsive to high-priority science goals and the president's challenge of sending humans to Mars orbit in the 2030s.”

Grunsfeld made note of budgetary concerns between allocations made by ESA versus those made by NASA, stating “these ExoMars missions are not in [ESA’s] science portfolio… at NASA we have different buckets representing the science piece.”

Part of the budgetary problem is that current programs have run over budget, including the James Webb Telescope, which was originally budgeted at $3.5 billion but is now projected for $8 billion. The Mars science laboratory also ran over to $2.5 billion from its original projected cost of $1.5 billion. The press release notes that the 2020 mission fits within the five-year budget plan in Obama’s 2013 budget, and is “contingent on future appropriations.”

NASA’s full budget for 2013 will be released on Monday.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

NASA plans to go to Mars in the 2030s. Elon Musk is marching to his own drum.

Comment

Somehow I don't think I'll see people landing on Mars.. Too far away in time..
      paulw

Comment

Originally posted by paulw View Post
        Somehow I don't think I'll see people landing on Mars.. Too far away in time..
        You need a better telescope
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

IMO; by the time NASA gets back to the Moon, or goes to Mars, private concerns will already be there, and China will have a local import-export office
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I predict the first man on Mars will hoist his own flag and declare his own nation.

Comment

Ok, maybe I'm missing something... but what more is Nasa hoping to learn from sending another rover? The sent 4 successful ones in recent years (Sojourner, Spirit, Opportunity and Curiosity), to different places on the planet and with the later still two going strong. More advanced instruments would probably only add little value...
              Without huge sudden leaps in measuring tools, why not aim for Europa (the moon ), or one of those other moons that appear interesting?

Orbiting Mars and not landing seems stupid... All the effort to get there, then having to return, without any tangible thing to show for. (well, maybe some rocks brought back by an unmanned lander)
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The Curiosity platform has MAJOR enhancements over previous rovers, including an advanced chemistry lab, nuclear power (no shutdowns during winter), a megawatt class laser for doing remote spectrometry, and a ton of other stuff that makes it the size of a compact car. Sojourner was the size of a large RC car and Opportunity about the size of a go-kart. The 2nd one would get upgraded and new sensors and go to a different site.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I know... but it still seems like small steps... and one step too fast after the other (the incremental enhancements would be bigger if they develop equipment longer, and use the current technology to investigate other places...). Just my 2c...
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Mars landing has been 20-30 years into the future for the past 40 years or so.

According to Bush we should have been back on the Moon in 3 years.

Until we have reliable significantly bigger rockets than now or new propulsion I don't think Mars is realistic.
                    Last edited by UtwigMU; 10 December 2012, 07:59.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                      >
                      Until we have reliable significantly bigger rockets than now or new propulsion I don't think Mars is realistic.
                      In 2014 we get Falcon Heavy (53-70 mT, depending on upper stage), in 2013 Musk discusses the MCT (rumors are up to 200 mT), then in 2017 we get STS (75 mT immediately, up to 130 mT later).

Big enough?

The long poles are developing fuel depots (ACES for LH2/LOX is designed, but no bux to test fly it. Methane would be easier.), a megawatt solar-electric drive for the a transfer vehicle stack, lander/return vehicles, habs and in-situ resource utilization (methane & O2 generation.) So far lots of talk, but little action as to these for Mars.
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 December 2012, 12:37.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

These are payloads to Low Eearth Orbit?

N1 was 90mT to LEO, 23,5 to TLI (never worked)
                        Saturn V was 120mT to LEO, 45 to TLI
                        Shuttle was 24,4 to LEO

Which rocket has presently highest payload?

Comment

The tonnages I posted were to LEO. For direct launch estimate 1/3 of that to TLI and 1/5 - 1/4 that to TMI.

Better to do multiple launch; assemble a dedicated Mars vehicle in LEO or at L1 /L2 then leave from there with a much larger total payload mass. That's one of the advantages of building an Exploration Gateway at L1/L2. Better yet: preposition an ISRU fuel depot on the surface before anyone departs the Gateway.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X