Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzy Osbourne Intl. Airport?

Hollywood Reporter....

Will the airplane overtake the bat as the flying object most associated with Ozzy Osbourne?

British recording industry veteran Jim Simpson, who discovered Osbourne’s pioneering heavy metal band Black Sabbath, is mounting a campaign to rename the rocker’s hometown airport in England after him, the Birmingham Mail reports.

Efforts in the city of Birmingham to organize a Black Sabbath Day recently stalled, and Simpson sees the airport renaming as an even better option to embrace the town’s musical heritage.

“How does The Ozzy Osbourne International Airport resonate?” Simpson said. “The message that would carry is instantly international, confident, powerful, unforgettable and says, ‘Hey World, we are proud of our own. Ozzy might not always have been a paragon of virtue, but he is a genuine flesh and blood Brummie.”

So will the airport renaming scheme take off?

Birmingham city councilman Philip Parkin told the Mail he was intrigued by the idea and said the city ought to be celebrating its talented natives.

“It’s an interesting idea and I’ve got an open mind, but I think something like that would need to be consulted on fairly widely because it’s a significant part of our infrastructure.”

If Birmingham does so, it wouldn't be the only city to rock a musician-named airport. In 2002, Liverpool renamed its airport in honor of John Lennon. Other airports named for musicians include Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport and the Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Airport in Salzburg, Austria.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I can't see that happening, and hope it doesn't.

Ozzie is a bit of a nation's favourite with certain generations, but he is hardly a role model.
    FT.

Comment

If Birmingham does so, it wouldn't be the only city to rock a musician-named airport. In 2002, Liverpool renamed its airport in honor of John Lennon. Other airports named for musicians include Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport and the Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Airport in Salzburg, Austria.
      The idea of Osbourne being classed with icons like Lennon, Armstrong and Mozart makes me cringe.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
        The idea of Osbourne being classed with icons like Lennon, Armstrong and Mozart makes me cringe.
        Me too! Darn amateurs!
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

LOL.

Batman Airport might be in the same league though, no?
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

More like Beavis and Butthead International Airport
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
            X