Change in MURC forums accessibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in MURC forums accessibility

Some users are alarmed by the huge amount of new users signing up (but not posting, hence they are very likely to be bots). I'd like to ask your opinion on this development, if you want it to stop and if yes, how. Please vote for your opinion or post if you want something else than the proposed options.

Note that right now (and since a very long time), ANYONE can read the MURC forums, and the user registrations do not add anything other than access to the 'Political and Religous' subforum.
    Limit visibility to registered users and prevent new users from signing up
    0%
    Purge bot users (0 post users) from the database once in a while
    0%
    Other... specify your option
    0%

The poll is expired.

I'm not sure that the bots are actually registering, as the no. of registered users is not excessive. I suggest they are reading threads whose titles include one or more keywords. The fact of downloading what they are reading would explain why posting here has become difficult at times as they may be hogging the bandwidth to the server.

Solution???
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
      I'm not sure that the bots are actually registering, as the no. of registered users is not excessive. I suggest they are reading threads whose titles include one or more keywords. The fact of downloading what they are reading would explain why posting here has become difficult at times as they may be hogging the bandwidth to the server.

Solution???
      I haven't noticed any issues with sluggish performance here. Maybe a purge of the 0 post users would help make the database smaller, but I doubt it's going to make a big difference.

What would probably help is to give the server more resources, but that costs extra $$$ which Sasq has paying out of his own pocket for some time afaik.

Comment

I'm good with limited visibility. How many new, legitimate users, who are not referred by an existing forum member have we had in the past year?
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

How many new legitimate period?

I have no performance issues with MURC. Would not mind a few new active members but, well, Matrox is not the thing anymore so I don;t see that happening for any sensible reason.

I do wonder about Alienieri though. He is always online, often browses the Lounge, occasianally reads threads but never ever posts (Yes, I am watching you all).
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Purge, but with an eye on post views.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The number of recent new regs are suspicious and I would only be concerned if these are to aid hacking attempts. I haven't noticed any change in the responsiveness of the forum. I say no harm no foul and leave things as they are. I just hope the admins can restore the site quickly if it is hacked. There are times that I don't login to view posts and I'd rather it not become a requirement.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I see no harm in purging those that haven't been online in a long time.

As for new users, there have not been many new, active ones... I think Guchi was the last. But is there a way for existing users to propose new members?
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I would also say purge those suckers!!
                  Lets do a test thread, call it...
                  #Kim Kardashian...lost in space
                  For example and see how many hits it gets lol

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                    #Kim Kardashian...lost in space
                    And you are under the impression that real MURCers would pass that up?
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

In fact, I now demand Elie to start that thread!
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                        In fact, I now demand Elie to start that thread!
                        +1. I've never seen much of this board running slow. If it has I put it down to the distance between me and it..
                        paulw

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                          And you are under the impression that real MURCers would pass that up?
                          Wouldn't real MURCers now just make a second account just to view the thread without other MURCers knowing?
                          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                            Wouldn't real MURCers now just make a second account just to view the thread without other MURCers knowing?
                            One MURC account is enough, i rarely post but drop by once a month on the average.. compared to when i was in my old job where i was viewing MURC at least 3 times daily

OTOH, most of us would be recognised even if we have another account due to the way we form sentences..
                            Wasn't there an user who had wild theories about stonehenge who was replying to himself?
                            Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                            ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Gary! I forgot all about him... Those were the days...
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X