&#^$* I'm married to a Philistine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• &#^$* I'm married to a Philistine!

Saturday night is typically "movie night" for Christine and me. We try to seek out movies we haven't both seen a dozen times.

Once again I suggested "Casablanca" with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. Only the most romantic movie ever made. Christine's reaction: "Five minutes of them talking in an airport? Yeah, THAT's romantic!"

So once again we'll probably be watching some Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan POS.

Argghhh!

/rant off

Been there
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I know what you mean

Last night, RTS(Swiss TV) put on an exceptional show. It was 90 minutes of Michel Fugain, a French poet/singer, 70 years old, with an exceptional charisma. He was accompanied by his own musicians and a 200-strong choir, mostly kids. His songs are mostly very serious evoking such subjects as Afghanistan, economics, terrorism, yet are pure poesy. Of course, the French have had a series of such poets, Brassens, Brel and many others, but Fugain has added more musical skill to his work and the choir added to this dimension (after 3 months of rehearsals!). The opposite pole from pop music, but nevertheless popular music.

At the end of 90 minutes of delight, the other half says, "I don't really like Michel Fugain!"

Some people ain't got no cultcha!
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

We had three kids for the night, so watched Brave

Take that, Cultcha!
        FT.

Comment

At least Brave got arrow ballistics right in the slo-mo 's.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

For Christmas next year I'm getting Christine a copy of "Joe vs The Volcano."

(We did watch "Casablanca." Her analysis: Bogart was "funny looking" and Bergman was "not THAT pretty.")

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              At least Brave got arrow ballistics right in the slo-mo 's.
              You mean the bit where Brave fired an arrow that split another? The one where it flexed massively and the fletchings made it bounce off the bow? I guess most of that happens to most of us, but even Mythbusters struggled with splitting an arrow
              FT.

Comment

I mean the depictions of archers paradox, arrow oscillations and kick.

AP: shot with a finger release (without a release aid) the string rolls left, changing the nominal aiming point. Release aids minimize this.

AO: a combination of bow draw weight, arrow rest offset, total arrow mass, arrow foreward of mass, arrowhead mass and arrow spline (stiffness) cause the horizontal oscillations depicted in that scene..

AK: a function of AP+AO, the total horizontal displacement of the arrow after it leaves the bow. Fletching height, length and type (vanes vs. feathers) have differing stabilizing effects on the kick and downrange performance.

Brave got far more of this right than usual in the media depictions of archery.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                X