Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss shooting

Looks like Switzerland is trying to emulate the USA

Three people are left dead and seven injured after a man opens fire at a wood processing factory near the Swiss city of Lucerne, police say.

Still has a long way to go, though, with a guns-related death rate of about 10%.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

US firearms homicide rate is 3.6 / 100,000 (2011 - NVSS & CDC**) and dropping, roughly half what it was in 1993 (7.07 / 100,000.) Largest drop was in the 5 years after states started liberalizing concealed carry (1993 - 1998.)

Interestingly, the homicide by any method number for 2011 is 5.1 / 100,000, also about half of 1993 and higher than the firearms homicide rate. Watch those clubs, fists, knives, ropes & cars kiddies.

What drives the total 'gun deaths' up to ~10 / 100,000 is that over 60% of the total are suicides. Accidental shooting rate: 0.3 / 100,000.

** Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2011 - Selected Causes, National Vital Statistics Reports; Vol 61, No. 6, pp.40-42. Hyattsville, MD; US Centers for Disease Control Prevention, Division of Vital Statistics, October 10.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 February 2013, 08:33.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      US firearms homicide rate is 3.6 / 100,000 (2011 - CDC) and dropping, roughly half what it was in 1993 (7.07 / 100,000.) Largest drop was in the 5 years after states started liberalizing concealed carry (1993 - 1998.)

Interestingly, the homicide by any method number for 2011 is 5.1 / 100,000, also about half of 1993 and higher than the firearms homicide rate. Watch those clubs, fists, knives, ropes & cars kiddies.
      Not sure what is so interestesting about that, Firearms homicide E homicide by any method, no? Seems to me Firearms homicide > homicide by any method is an impossibility unless homicide by any method means homicide by any method other than with firearms.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

It's entirely possible to have an overall 'by any means' rate lower than the firearms rate IF most or all other methodologies were lower than the firearms rate. Obviously they aren't. What's also interesting that with about 90+ firearms per 100 persons, a drastic increase over the last 20 years, the firearms homicide rate has halved.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

So homicides "by any method" do not include homicides by firearms?
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Picky, picky, picky.

Snopes has a nice summary: http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/baseballbats.asp
            Last edited by cjolley; 27 February 2013, 10:22.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Don't let facts get in the way of truth!

Based upon surveys, the following are estimates of private firearm ownership in the U.S. as of 2010:

Households With a Gun Adults Owning a Gun Adults Owning a Handgun
              Percentage 40-45% 30-34% 17-19%
              Number 47-53 million 70-80 million 40-45 million

Comprehensive and meticulously documented facts about gun control. Learn about ownership rates, crime, background checks, accidents, politics, and more.

So where is your 90+%?
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

No one tried to restrict it as tight as that Snopes post, but suffice it to say that with a firearms rate of 3.6 per 100k and an overall accidental death rate of >38 per 100k there's a lot more to worry about than guns.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Suddenly you are switching from murder to accidental deaths like car wrecks?
                  Come on Doc, the thesis that more people in the US are murdered by weapons other than firearms than by firearms is simply not even remotely true.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                    Picky, picky, picky.
                    I'm not picky. I just want to understand what the numbers represent. OK, I guess that's picky.

Comment

Working...
                    X