Spider comes back several floors up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider comes back several floors up

So I caught a spider in antistatic bag and threw it from the window several floors.

2 days latter he is back in the same spot. @_@

So what's the surprise?

If that had been Goldie** she'd have come back up, wrapped you up in silk and tossed the package out the window.

** our 13" Goliath Bird Eater.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      So what's the surprise?

If that had been Goldie** she'd have come back up, wrapped you up in silk and tossed the package out the window.

** our 13" Goliath Bird Eater.
      It found a way back to same spot from lawn in front of apartment building about 15 meters / 50 feet up.

Comment

Oh dear God, a picture of one of those Bird Eaters stopped me from going to Oz, and the fact they have 1000's of indigenous Spiders.

@UtwigMU, how did the spider get there in the first place ?
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
          @UtwigMU, how did the spider get there in the first place ?
          It had the wrong floor, when another tenant threw it out, and liked it better there?
          Last edited by VJ; 7 August 2013, 03:13.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
            Oh dear God, a picture of one of those Bird Eaters stopped me from going to Oz, and the fact they have 1000's of indigenous Spiders.
            >
            Goliath Bird Eaters (Theraphosa blondi) are a giant tarantula from northern South America, not Oz, so no worries there mate

They're actually a pretty good pet; hand tame, recognizing individual people (she likes napping on my shoulder for the warmth), and she's a terrific mouser. Fast as lightning when she sees a potential meal. You just don't want to startle her; she has ~1.5" fangs and urticating hairs (think short, throwable, porcupine quills.)

Most all of her non-prey bites are "dry", no venom injected (warning shots), and the urticating hairs are like getting fiberglass insulation in your skin. Most all of Goldie's non-prey "victims" have been inquisitive puppies and cats, both of which only needed one encounter to learn the life lesson "don't f**k with the spider!!"
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 August 2013, 19:35.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm sorry, but the arachnophobic side of me is not comprehending the 'pet' bit.
              That would seriously freak me out. (not that i would be able to get within 100 yards of the thing...)

Itching powder used to be made from Tarantula hairs. Prickly little buggers.
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Keeping tarantula's as pets is pretty common in the US with quite a few owners breeding them and selling back to pet shops and directly to other owners. Owners usually start with a smaller type then work their way up to larger ones. The GBE's are the largest and require a long committment because they can live >20 years. Mexican redknees (6" legspan) can live 25-30 years.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I have this love-hate feeling with spiders. I am fascinated by how they move and look, but at the same time I don't want them too close...
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Tarantulas aren't that bad in creep factor when you consider how many Americans also keep scorpions. A friend of mine has a huge African Emperor scorpion - almost 8" long. Many pet stores carry them, habitats & supplies - even Petco.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 August 2013, 03:55.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Christine freaks out when she finds a jumping spider in the house, and really freaks when I pick them up and put them on the house plants. I think they're cute.

jumping_spider_12_by_macrojunkie.jpg

Who can resist those eyes?

Comment

Dilbert added for fun

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                          Christine freaks out when she finds a jumping spider in the house, and really freaks when I pick them up and put them on the house plants. I think they're cute.

Who can resist those eyes?
                          ME. I'm happy I scrolled slowly down the page, so it didn't surprise me too much. I as expecting piccies of them, but not sooo big
                          Not sure I'll be looking back to this thread....

edit : I'm now checking out all the corners of my office, and under the desk, and behind boxes. freak out mode....

Comment

Working...
                          X