Where will smartphones stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where will smartphones stop?

Display resolutions go to 2560 x 1440 (LG)

Screen size goes to 6.3" (Samsung Galaxy Mega phablet)

Been looking at the LG Optimus G Pro; 1.7ghz Snapdragon 600, 2 gigs RAM, storage up to 64 gig via microSD and 5.5" 1920 x 1080 (400 ppi). Currently a $99 upgrade from AT&T Next, but the Mega arrives Friday at $150 and may put downward pressure on the price of other phablets.

Shop AT&T’s selection of cell phones from your favorite brands like Apple, Google, Samsung, and Motorola. Shop now for the new iPhone 16 at AT&T.

The LG OGP fits into my shirt pockets at 5.5" though I use a belt holster, and the new LG screen is the same size (coming OGP upgrade?) The 6.3" Samsung Galaxy Mega might be another thing entirely. Not interested in it though, it being a slower dual core and the image quality less sharp than the OGP.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I think the advent of 5-7" phones/tablets is influenced by Asia where they like things a bit smaller. So they'd prefer 6" phone over 10" tablet (similarly 10-13" laptops were popular there before elsewhere).

Also if phone is the only device you carry, 6" may be best form factor. If you carry a tablet or a laptop, maybe it's better to have smaller phone. For example a friend had "drinking" phone. An old battered small Nokia which he took when we went drinking (instead of his HTC or Samsung) and used it to call to meet and then to call cab to take him home. As it was sturdy and not worth much, he didn't care about dropping it or loosing.

Otherwise I think apps, ecosystems, operating systems, paradigms are defined and like the PC hasn't seen a major change in past 15 years (only became more powerful with faster buses). Form factors will probably diversify. Even though almost everyone now has a touch screen phone a lot are not using functionality much and they might prefer smaller screen. Others like to carry TV sets.

For example my minimum setup (clubbing)consists of:
    2 keys (to enter home - I have other keys I don't need to get home on separate ring).
    cash in pocket 1-5 banknotes, couple of coins (no wallet)
    ID (credit card sized)
    phone

No car key as I either take cab or bus if I drink.

All this has to fit in trousers pockets and big phone interferes with freedom of movement.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 21 August 2013, 13:42.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
      I think the advent of 5-7" phones/tablets is influenced by Asia where they like things a bit smaller. So they'd prefer 6" phone over 10" tablet (similarly 10-13" laptops were popular there before elsewhere).

Also if phone is the only device you carry, 6" may be best form factor. If you carry a tablet or a laptop, maybe it's better to have smaller phone. For example a friend had "drinking" phone. An old battered small Nokia which he took when we went drinking (instead of his HTC or Samsung) and used it to call to meet and then to call cab to take him home. As it was sturdy and not worth much, he didn't care about dropping it or loosing.

Otherwise I think apps, ecosystems, operating systems, paradigms are defined and like the PC hasn't seen a major change in past 15 years (only became more powerful with faster buses). Form factors will probably diversify. Even though almost everyone now has a touch screen phone a lot are not using functionality much and they might prefer smaller screen. Others like to carry TV sets.

For example my minimum setup (clubbing)consists of:
      2 keys (to enter home - I have other keys I don't need to get home on separate ring).
      cash in pocket 1-5 banknotes, couple of coins (no wallet)
      ID (credit card sized)
      phone

No car key as I either take cab or bus if I drink.

All this has to fit in trousers pockets and big phone interferes with freedom of movement.
      We wear shorts with the side pockets down here most of the year. Some of mine have special pockets just for smart phones.

Should see a friend of mine at the checkout isle, reaches into one pocket, pulls out a wad of cash and says that not it, crams that back digs into another with another wad of cash, nope not that, shoves back into another pocket, feels around another, not there and then another, dang, finally here we go. Cashier's eyes still bugging out from the thousands he just flashed. LOL His phone was in yet another pocket. Doesn't carry a wallet... too much bulk
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I wonder if it might not go to a more modular system.

The phone itself could look like a simple, compact dumbphone (simple screen), having quite high battery life on its own. But it can be connected (wirelessly?) with better "interface units": a 5" larger unit which has touchscreen, better camera, mic and speaker; a 10" screen that gives it a tablet feeling, a smartwatch or whatever. Use of these could allow the phone itself to be hidden somewhere. As these all use the same heart, all data and applications are there.

Compare it to having your desktop case as the heart, with basic functions and a choice of displays/keyboards/... to which to connect.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The next stage is probably wearables.

Comment

But wearing everything gets cumbersome... The only thing that needs easy access are input/ouput devices. The rest can be in a bag or so if they connect wireless.
            pixar

Comment

What about these "smart watches" that everyone seems to be busy developing?

I can't see it being useful as a phone (keep your wrist to your ear in order to hear the other talking?). Nor as internet device, as the screen is way too small.

What on earth is the possible appeal of such a device???

Personally I think those huge phones (5"+) are stupid too, as they are too bulky to comfortably hold to your ear. Basically you need to use them on speaker phone mode (not nice for private conversations with others around), or with a bluetooth headset.

Comment

I'll be very happy to have a large screen implanted just below the skin of the back of my wrist, and an earpiece/bone-mic implant.

Flexible screens that unfurl when the phone is deployed could be very useful.
                FT.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                  What about these "smart watches" that everyone seems to be busy developing?
                  I can't see it being useful as a phone (keep your wrist to your ear in order to hear the other talking?). Nor as internet device, as the screen is way too small.
                  What on earth is the possible appeal of such a device???
                  My phone came with the first generation of the Sony Ericsson smartwatch, called LiveWatch. This model only shows notifications and other information, but does not have a mic or speaker. The only use I see when you cannot hear your phone (because it is in a bag; or here, in a -30° winter, when I cannot hear/feel my phone when it is in the winterjacket). I always plan to start using it in those circumstances, but the standard strap is so bad that I first want to get a new strap for it.
                  The advertisement is that you get e.g. mail or facebook notifications on your wrist (and you can read them), but somehow I'm not yet at the stage where I want a stupid facebook update to interrupt me. I also only switch on my mobile internet when I need it. It may change when people start expecting you to be always online, and start using facebook as an sms replacement, but until that happens, I am more than happy reading the updates when I decided, later.

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                  Personally I think those huge phones (5"+) are stupid too, as they are too bulky to comfortably hold to your ear. Basically you need to use them on speaker phone mode (not nice for private conversations with others around), or with a bluetooth headset.
                  With this one, I fully agree.

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                  I'll be very happy to have a large screen implanted just below the skin of the back of my wrist, and an earpiece/bone-mic implant.
                  Flexible screens that unfurl when the phone is deployed could be very useful.
                  So maybe I'm old fashioned then... But I can't imagine something like that, nor how to use it. I feel at present that I'm already too often checking my phone (and deliberately limit myself). With a permanently accessible display, I fear the distractions would be too big.
                  pixar

Comment

MIT and others have been working on contact lenses that incorporate overlay displays akin to the Google Glass HUD. (Example....) There has also been talk of applying the tech to ocular implants something like those used to repair cataracts. I could see a handset using this tech as a wireless Slimport-like display for portable devices. They could also eventually be used to enhance normal vision - zoom or enhanced night vision using an embedded or worn micro-cam.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 August 2013, 07:51.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

There's a problem with eye-mounted displays such as contact lenses which is that there is only a narrow area in the centre of vision which has 'full' resolution. I've seen video simulations from my ex-colleagues who were in to eye-tracking, most of the field of view has far less detail than you would imagine. Hence when reading our eyes scan from end to end of a row of text and don't remain fixed in the centre for example.

Thus a contact-lens display would need to put the detail in the centre of the field of view, and there wouldn't be room for that much of it. You certainly couldn't have it on all the time like you might with Google Glass. I am sure there's lots (e.g. signalling) that could be done with larger elements in the peripheral areas but it probably wouldn't involve small text.

I'd love to be proved wrong!
                      FT.

Comment

I can see smartdevices evolving much like shoes, with a near-infinite variety of sizes and styles to suit any user and lifestyle. We certainly seem headed in that direction.

I'd like a nice smartphone on me, but I like the styling of my cheap tracfone clamshell "communicator." Unfortunately it doesn't allow me to load my own "communicator" ringtone. And I often forget to carry the damned thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                          There's a problem with eye-mounted displays such as contact lenses which is that there is only a narrow area in the centre of vision which has 'full' resolution. I've seen video simulations from my ex-colleagues who were in to eye-tracking, most of the field of view has far less detail than you would imagine. Hence when reading our eyes scan from end to end of a row of text and don't remain fixed in the centre for example.
                          >
                          I'd love to be proved wrong!
                          We'll see soon enough - the US DoD is already testing the first generation of a system that incorporates contacts, and the company they're working with is looking at a 2014-2015 commercial rollout. Their system is set up for HD & 3D video and "regular" apps including text, maps, and other data troops might need in the field.

I would speculate that you could also synch dual lenses using image stabilization and/or eye tracking algorithms using h/w built into head ware, glasses or goggles.
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 August 2013, 08:43.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I just finally replace my old Droid X2 with a Galaxy S4 and am very happy with it.
                            It's big, but not too big. Fit's in a shirt pocket (barely).
                            5" screen@1920x1080 and quad core.
                            I'm not sure there would be much point in anything over 1080p on a screen this size.
                            Last edited by cjolley; 22 August 2013, 10:20. Reason: to big?
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

On holiday recently I had my (work) phone stolen from me by a beggar in a restaurant. Long story but a good insurance outcome, with work paying the difference between the payout (£350) and the new handset.

It was a Galaxy Note II. I basically had my pick of any replacement phone I like.

I won't go back to an iPhone because of the screen size and because you have to jail break it to tether, amongst other things.
                              So my choice came down to the HTC One, the S4, or the Note II or Mega.

Whilst I would have liked the screen size of the Mega, the rest of the specs are lacking. The S4 was quite a bit more money, the HTC screen was smaller and didn't offer any significant advantage to me, so I went for another Galaxy Note II at £440.

I love the screen size, and tethering is extremely useful. I don't really use the stylus but I will get around to that.
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X