'Memories' pass between generations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Memories' pass between generations

Behaviour can be affected by events in previous generations which have been passed on through a form of genetic memory, animal studies suggest.

Experiments showed that a traumatic event could affect the DNA in sperm and alter the brains and behaviour of subsequent generations.

"There is absolutely no doubt that what happens to the sperm and egg will affect subsequent generations."

Behaviour can be affected by events in previous generations which have been passed on through a form of genetic memory, animal studies suggest.

This is very interesting. It shows, that there is more to what we know about genetics and inheritance.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 2 December 2013, 03:32.

Lamarck? Is that you?
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Genetic Memory theory has been around for a while but difficult to really prove for most living things. I think the easiest to prove would be with reptiles, some species just lay eggs and leave them be but the young once hatched seem able to cope with recently passed events experienced by their parents
      Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
      ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

This is related to the relatively new field of epigenetics, where environmental factors cause DNA or RNA methylation or (under debate) histone modification - which doesn't change genes but changes how they are expressed. It can even be used to differentiate between identical twins because they will rarely have had exactly the same environmental exposures. These epigenetic changes can be passed down and may be responsible for many inherited variations. It also has a key role in how stem cells differentiate into the numerous cell types.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 December 2013, 06:24.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X