Holiday Movie Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Movie Reviews

Got out and watched a couple of movies this week and I thought it could be fun to start a thread to compare notes amongst MURCers.

Interstellar - I thought this was excellent. The runtime is a tad too long...but I don't know how they could have cut the story down. My wife liked it too, though at times she did her "fast forward" motion because the story was lagging. The church organ music was an interesting. It worked though. I thought the acting was solid, the story compelling, and overall, a solid 8.5/10 stars. -0.5 stars for runtime...

Big Hero 6 - My family and I loved this movie! If you've read about the tech behind building it you discover they completely redesigned the light engine in their rendering program and you can tell. The lighting realism in the movie is amazing. They spent more render hours on BH6, on a larger render farm (55k processors), than Frozen, Tangled, and Wreck-It-Ralph combined.

Anyway, it's different than the average super hero movie. The stars are "nerds" who excel at robotics. They have to cope with emotion and loss, and deep seeded anger. Yet it's not moody or depressing. I thought it captured a lot of the thrill you get in a Miyazaki movie, complete with a flying scene, with a refined American style of story telling. Giving this one a solid 9/10.

Next up is Snowpiercer, which is already on Netflix. Heard this one is really good.

Looking forward to the last Hobbit movie and Unbroken.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Everyone has been praising Interstellar, so I guess it's a must see.

Comment

and apparently Interstellar was most accurate when it came to space science. I will go see this movie as well.Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
        Everyone has been praising Interstellar, so I guess it's a must see.
        The theater, while not huge, was packed even though the movie has been out for nearly a month. It really is a must see for scifi/space fans.

From what I've read the movie uses a lot of accurate space science mixed with quite a bit of speculative space science. Which is kind of a gimme since we've never encountered 95% of the science in the movie. Only observed through telescopes, if at all.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I wasn't sold on Interstellar. Probably had read too many books (2001, 2010, 20something, 3001..) and had plenty of flashbacks.
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
          X