Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English language question...

Is there a difference between the following sentences:
    • ... to temporarily accept a worse solution.
    • ... to accept temporarily a worse solution.
    • ... to accept a temporary worse solution.

My feeling is that the first 2 are "accepting a worse solution for the time being, until we are not satisfied with it - which can happen after time even though the solution does not change". The last one seems to hint that the current solution is worse, but it will change to a better one fast enough.

Any thoughts?
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

English is not my native tongue but yes, I would say the first and second mean the same. Like the style of the first better though. The third has a different meaning IMO in that the accepted solution will only be worse for a definite period. In the former two, the accepted solution itself will become unacceptable after a definite period and, by implication, supplanted by another solution.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
      Is there a difference between the following sentences:
      • ... to temporarily accept a worse solution.
      • ... to accept temporarily a worse solution.
      • ... to accept a temporary worse solution.

My feeling is that the first 2 are "accepting a worse solution for the time being, until we are not satisfied with it - which can happen after time even though the solution does not change". The last one seems to hint that the current solution is worse, but it will change to a better one fast enough.

Any thoughts?
      The first reads that the person must temporarily accept a bad solution. The second reads the same, but with an emphasis on temporarily. Though temporarily should go inside commas.

...to accept, temporarily, a worse solution.

The last reads that the worse solution is temporary and a better solution is promised. Soon(tm).

PS - In the business/support world you would never say "worse solution." Without going too deep into the 'Merica business psychology, it sends a message of ineptitude. Just...trust me.

An 'undesirable solution' or 'undesired solution', or some variant, would be more appropriate.

It's like a game here. Finding a word or phrase that softens the "oh shite we're fraked" factor into something that conveys confidence. Essentially making the other person feel that being fraked isn't so bad and shite is quite fun to play with, and I'm certain a more agreeable solution will be available soon.
      Last edited by Jammrock; 9 March 2015, 12:14.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

'to temporarily accept a worse solution' is a split infinitive which is anathema to grammatical purists, although a common mistake. The adverb should not come between 'to' and 'accept' because the infinitive verb is 'to accept'. The second choice is correct English but I agree with J.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!
          Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
          PS - In the business/support world you would never say "worse solution." Without going too deep into the 'Merica business psychology, it sends a message of ineptitude. Just...trust me.
          It is in the context of an iterative mathematical algorithm, so the message of ineptitude is not an issue. The algorithm converges to the best solution, but at times it deviates from this to accept a worse solution, in order to avoid local optimums.

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
          'to temporarily accept a worse solution' is a split infinitive which is anathema to grammatical purists, although a common mistake. The adverb should not come between 'to' and 'accept' because the infinitive verb is 'to accept'. The second choice is correct English but I agree with J.
          Interesting... I think it is a mistake I might make, as it sounds more natural to me...

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
          English is not my native tongue but yes, I would say the first and second mean the same. Like the style of the first better though. The third has a different meaning IMO in that the accepted solution will only be worse for a definite period. In the former two, the accepted solution itself will become unacceptable after a definite period and, by implication, supplanted by another solution.
          I wonder if we like the style of the first one due to our native language...?

Thanks again guys!

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
          X