Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Terry Pratchett

wpid-article-1307720242141-0c7c71f300000578-519390_636x350.jpg

Best-selling author Sir Terry Pratchett has died at the age of 66.

Sir Terry, who wrote more than 70 best-selling novels, waged a very public struggle with Alzheimer’s disease in recent years.

His publisher Penguin Random House said he ‘passed away in his home, with his cat sleeping on his bed, surrounded by his family’.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/12/terry-...tweet-5100572/
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

May he make fun of the universe in peace!

Sorry to hear he's gone, but glad he doesn't have to deal with Alzheimer's anymore.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

He forged his own sword when he was knighted, and then had to hide it from the authorities!

It is an absolute scandal and a sad symptom of the decline of the Empire that Knights of the Realm are forbidden to own or carry swords!

Comment

How silly. There's a whole wall of swords & blades in the other room, from Gladius to Kukri and Bat'leths, and he couldn't have one.

Sad.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I loved his play on words and had lots of respect for him. A great literary giant has passed in my humble opinion As some just critic that he is just a funny story writer. For me some of his simple seeming words have made me think about the world we live in now. Rest in Peace (or maybe have a cup of tea with DEATH)
          Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
          ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

After many moons I changed my signature in honor of the fallen. And because it's an awesome quote.

Comment

I never read anything by him. What would you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                I never read anything by him. What would you recommend?
                Most people recommend "The Colour of Magic" and so do i; the stories revolving around RinceWind are just too funny.

Here's a good quote about the different "threads"

One thing about discworld that is important to realize, in the 35+ or so books there are really 5+ different threads that hardly cross at all.

The witches stories (which later expand futher into his childrens series - The Tiffany Aching series).
                The wizard stories featuring Rincewind, Archechancellor Ridcully and friends, of which some of the Rincewind stories could possibly even be another group.
                The City Watch stories featuring Vimes, Nobby, Colon and the patrician.
                The City stories featuring Moist Von Lipwig, the more recent Going Postal and Making money.

The Death stories featuring Death and his granddaughter Susan.

There are also 2 or 3 that just hang out by themselves, like Omnia of Small Gods, and Pyramids, just they happen to occur on discworld.

Some people just fall in love with one of those themes and don't really like the others, so if you read one and don't like witches, maybe switch ahead. I love them all, but personal favorite is the city watch, and the character of Commander Vimes.

This image from the lspace page really sums it up nicely.

the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20_small.jpg
                "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Now I have read quite a bit of fantasy and have been aware of Pratchett for quite some time but never got around to read anything, I mean, where to start? And now I know
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

"Good Omens" with Neil Gaiman is another good one. It's unrelated to Discworld, and funny as hell (you'll get the pun once you've read the book).

A list of some good quotes from that book.

691 quotes from Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch: ‘DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING...

“Death and Famine and War and Pollution continued biking towards Tadfield. And Grievous Bodily Harm, Cruelty To Animals, Things Not Working Properly Even After You've Given Them A Good Thumping but secretly No Alcohol Lager, and Really Cool People travelled with them.”
                    Last edited by Jammrock; 16 March 2015, 08:46.

Comment

Working...
                    X