Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mr. Hockey" honored: Gordie Howe International Bridge

New Detroit-Windsor bridge named after Gordie Howe

Windsor — Mr. Hockey is about to become Mr. Bridge.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Gov. Rick Snyder said here Thursday that a long-planned Detroit River bridge crossing will be named the Gordie Howe International Bridge after the Detroit Red Wings great and Canadian native.

The 87-year-old is one of the greatest hockey players in history, but it is unusual for a Canadian landmark to be named after a living person.

Gordie's sons Murray and Marty were on hand for the announcement, along with Murray's wife Colleen, at the posh Canadian Club along the river between Detroit and Windsor. Snyder, Harper and the three Howe family members wore the red lapel pins with Howe's famous Red Wing No. 9 on them.

"This is joining two countries, two jurisdictions, two communities in what is a very strong and important relationship," Harper said. "And I don't think we could think of a better person who symbolizes that relationship better than Gordie Howe."

Snyder was also effusive in his praise.

"This is the heart of our economies, and it's critically important we have this wonderful bridge built," the governor said. "I'm glad we have clarity with an answer that there could be no better answer out there which is to name it after Gordie Howe. He's a legend in both places."
    Howe retired 33 years after his first season in a career that lasted from 1946 to 1980. He scored 801 goals in the National Hockey League along with another 174 goals in the rebel World Hockey Association that lasted from 1972-79.

During the five decades, "he didn't just survive, he was dominant — on the scoring lists, in battles in the corners, on game-winning goals and when the year-end awards were handed out," according to Howe's Hall of Fame biography. "He was a big man, though by modern standards no behemoth, but what set him apart was his incredible strength."

Son Murray Howe, who spoke for the family, said it is "truly, truly an incredible honor." He recalled the story of his grandmother who came from Germany to Windsor for a better life.

"So Windsor is where it all began," he said. "How fitting that this is where the bridge begins. When I told my Dad that the bridge would be named in his honor, he said, 'That sounds pretty good to me.' He is deeply moved by this gracious gesture."

Both governments wanted the still-to-be-built bridge to be named after the star with whom both Americans and Canadians could identify and who urged "extraordinary goodwill" between the two countries, officials said.

The bridge is expected to be completed by 2020, with a total of six lanes, border inspection plazas and connections to major highways in Detroit and Windsor.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X