• Show
Clear All

• SpaceX Dragon CRS-7 cargo to ISS [vehicle failure analysis announcement]

SpaceX Dragon CRS-7 cargo mission to ISS

Launch: June 28, 2015
    Launch time: 1021 Eastern

Primary payload: IDA-1 docking adapter for Commercial Crew spacecraft

Stage landing: yes
    Stage landing zone: ASDS Of Course I Still Love You (drone ship)

CRS-7 video streams

SpaceX YouTube channel (1001 Eastern)
    SpaceX designs, manufactures and launches the world’s most advanced rockets and spacecraft.

SpaceX webcast (1001 Eastern)

SpaceX LiveStream (1001 Eastern)

NASA TV (0900 Eastern)

NASA TV on Ustream (0900 Eastern)

Mission patch
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Excellent!

I'm crap at this, but what would that make for GMT ? (UK is +1 atm and CET is +2, due to summertime rules)

-6 ?
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Find the exact time difference with the Time Zone Converter – Time Difference Calculator which converts the time difference between places and time zones all over the world.

Comment

New York (U.S.A. - New York) Sunday, 28 June 2015, 11:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
        Paris (France) Sunday, 28 June 2015, 17:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
        Corresponding UTC (GMT) Sunday, 28 June 2015, 15:00:00

So 16h00 for the UK.

Looks right.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

The new, highly upgraded drone ship ASDS Of Course I Still Love You is on station, waiting for the CRS-7 first stage to attempt a landing.

Falcon 9 v1.1 now has a modded throttle valve system to prevent the stiction issue that caused the last stage to crash. Basically, the valve stuck for a moment on full throttle and the stage couldn't recover before arriving at the ASDS Just Read the Instructions.

This is the second to last Falcon 9 v1.1 core. The upgraded core, commonly called "v1.2" but as yet unnamed, will fly on the SES-9 commsat launch later this summer. F9 v1.2 will have about 33% higher performance, being capable of stage landings after a high mass GTO launch and up to 21+ tonnes to LEO as an expendable.

The upgraded core will also be used on Falcon Heavy, increasing its expected performance as well. Heavy just got seriously "Heavy-er." FH's maiden flight is still on for this year with the pacing largely determined by the construction on KSC LC-39A, which is in its final stages.

LC-39A's massive new hanger will be able to process 5 Falcon 9's, or 1 Falcon Heavy and 2 Falcon 9's, simultaneously in anticipation of Run 'n Gun launches (roll out, load propellants and launch in 60 minutes; rinse, wash, repeat.)

Image by OCISLY's resident DroneX Cam.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 June 2015, 19:27.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Well heck.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

So, Iain M. Banks, his books any good?
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Did he write a book about a second stage oxygen tank over-pressure?

PS Musk alluded cryptically to a "counter-intuitive" cause.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Oh, wait, I did not expect this....

Apparantly, the names of the landing crafts are from books of mr. Banks. Did not know that, found that out earlier today as I was wondering about the weird names.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Here's what's known.

1) the first stage kept on plugging for almost 8 seconds after the upper stage failed and Dragon was ejected. That demonstrates a degree of toughness no one expected. Most rockets would have tumbled and disintegrated almost immediately.

2) the last few milliseconds of the upper stage telemetry has to be reconstructed in a hex editor. Something likely took out the telemetry and upper stage avionics hardware, which is at the top of the upper stage.

3) Dragon continued to send telemetry after it broke away from the booster. If it had been programmed to jettison its nose cone and deploy the chutes it may have been recoverable. A good sign for the crew version which also has escape engines.

4) there are a few theories about what caused the upper stage failure,

a. the IDA-1 docking adapter for ISS in the Trunk broke free and both took out the telemetry & avionics and caused the LOX tank overpressure, which caused it to burst.

b. the failure of a COPV (composite overwrapped pressure vessel) helium tank, which is inside the LOX tank.

c. the failure of the tank wall

d. the upper stage Merlin engine was chilling in to prepare for separation. A failure in the chill-in hardware could have over pressurized the LOX tank

or several other things.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

A supplier built 24" x 1" strut which supports a helium COPV let go at 20% of its design rating, COPV rattles around, helium line ruptures, helium leaks out in large volumes and bad things happened.

Those parts WILL NOT be used again, and each of the new parts will be proof tested.

The Dragon spacecraft would have survived if it had programmed to deploy its parachutes after the vehicle broke up, even without SuperDraco abort engines (!!), and from now on the software will support this safety mode.

Falcon Heavy delayed to next spring - dammit.

Return to flight no sooner than September.

Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust · 7s7 seconds ago
                      Musk: able to replicate by taking 1000s of these struts and testing; a few failed well below rated level.

Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust · 5s5 seconds ago
                      Musk: not going to move strut work in-house, but will move to a different design likely from a different supplier.

Parabolicarc.com ‏@spacecom · 9s9 seconds ago
                      Musk: same strut on upper and lower stages. Will be replacing them in both.

Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust · 38s38 seconds ago
                      Musk: this will not affect commercial crew timeline; this is not on the critical path.

Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust · 5s5 seconds ago
                      Musk: likely to change the bulk of the material in support struts to Inconel, but no final decision on that yet,

Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust · 15s15 seconds ago
                      Musk: examination of strut that failed in ground tests showed problems in the grain structure in the steel.

TWC Space Weather ‏@twcspacewx · 3m3 minutes ago
                      Musk: The first Dragon v2 flights will be without crew, so they will carry cargo
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Images of what we're discussing.

COPV = Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessel

Basic struts

COPV installation in S2 LOX tank

A Falcon 9 upper stage COPV that survived reentry and fell in Brazil
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 July 2015, 19:57.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                        X