Deadpool reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadpool reviews

I'm amazed at how flooded social media is, telling parents not to take children to Deadpool. From what I've read Marvel/Fox really made an honest hard-R super hero movie that doesn't suck.

Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) is a former Special Forces operative who now works as a mercenary. His world comes crashing down when evil scientist Ajax (Ed Skrein) tortures, disfigures and transforms him into Deadpool. The rogue experiment leaves Deadpool with accelerated healing powers and a twisted sense of humor. With help from mutant allies Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Brianna Hildebrand), Deadpool uses his new skills to hunt down the man who nearly destroyed his life.

Comment below if you've seen it. Will likely go on Saturday with the wife.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I guess I'll get started. Deadpool was hilarious. In a very rated-R(US)/15(UK)/18A(CA)/etc. manner. Lots of profanity, nudity, violence, and joke so bad they're good.

The fourth wall is broken over and over again, as it is in the comics, to great effect. While many classic tropes are used in the movie, they twist and bend them in ways that keep the movie entertaining.

The opening credits get things rolling. If you normally ignore the opening credits...don't. You'll get a good kick out them on Deadpool. Stay for the closing credits, too. Not just the animated part of the closing credits, all the way to the end. They have a Marvel-esque credit sequence that is not actually Marvel-esque.

Pacing is good. They squeeze in a lot of movie, a story plus an origin story, without making the movie feel rushed. And yes it's funny. I laughed so hard at parts I missed some of the movie.

It's not perfect, though. It relies too heavily on narration. 90% of the dialog is Reynolds. And 90% of that is jokes and profanity. Not that it's bad, but I can see this movie being bad if you don't like the sound of Reynolds' voice.

The least good part was the story bouncing around too much. Which is one of the reasons it relies too much on narration. There is a story in a story in a story that leads back to the story story and finally to the main story before you end with the conclusion of all the stories in one glorious end battle.

There are two scene stealers in the movie: Negasonic Teenage Warhead and Dopinder (the cab driver you see in the trailer). NTW is a fun charater, and plays well off Deadpool. Dopinder... you have to see the movie to understand. It's good, IMHO.

Okay, the big question: worth the price of admittance? Yes, if you like hard-R action comedy flicks, regardless of whether they are comic book based. If the "hard-R" thing is not for you, then rent or skip. The comic book-ness of the movie is really secondary to the action and comedy, so you don't need to be a comic or Deadpool fan to enjoy.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
    X