VERY cool new cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
    I'd simply love a 2 cyl diesel throbbing just behind my lug-holes and behind the passengers', as well, as they sit arsey-warsey. Notice no aircon available for that greenhouse. I may be an environmentalist, but not to that point, when it can get to over 45 deg C here in summer
    Actually, I see A/C listed as an Extra on their website.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

....<stupid anti-English rant> ....
      So why use anything as complicated as metres and km, cm, mm?
      It's not the units per se, it's the fuel/distance, as opposed to distance/fuel that's stupid. If I get 30mpg, it's easy to figure out how many gallons of gas I need to go 120miles. Or if I get 300 miles to the tank, I know how many work-drives of 60 miles I can make on a tank. Since distance is fixed, and fuel volume differs per engine, it makes sense to keep distance as the numerator. If somehow the world were such that Distance A->B were always 1.5L, your notation might make sense.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yep, km/l would make sense.
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

In a way, yes... It is just that we are so accustomed to our units (be it l/100 km or mpg), that it is hard to change.

FWIW, planes fuel consumption is rated in l/min or gallons/min (the distance cannot be used: if you have headwind, you can't go as far; and vice versa for tail wind).

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Surely the consumption is the no. of litres or gallons that are consumed per given distance. You don't consume km or miles, therefore mpg is not the consumption. It is a reciprocal function of the consumption. Oxford gives
            The action or fact of consuming by use, waste, eating, etc.
            As for aircon in a car like that, you would need a second engine, with all that glass! In fact, the title of this thread is wrong, not "VERY cool new cars" but "VERY hot new cars"
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Probably not hot in Finland in January.

But then you would need 4wd and some horsepower..

Why not make the roof photovoltaics and run the ac off that?

Comment

Erm... Loremo is a german firm.

Comment

Yes.. and?

They could not be used in Finland?

Comment

Of course they could, I just couldn't find any context for finland and thought you meant that these cars were from and also for finland

Comment

Surely the consumption is the no. of litres or gallons that are consumed per given distance. You don't consume km or miles, therefore mpg is not the consumption. It is a reciprocal function of the consumption.
                      And though you never consume miles, you're always burning time, so why isn't your spedometer in hours/km?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                        Why not make the roof photovoltaics and run the ac off that?
                        Because A/C takes up a good bit of electricity if you try to power it that way. It's much easier/efficient to run a compressor off the mechanical power of the engine. Peltier devices are nowhere near as efficient.

Comment

Surely the consumption is the no. of litres or gallons that are consumed per given distance. You don't consume km or miles, therefore mpg is not the consumption. It is a reciprocal function of the consumption.
                          True...
                          But the term 'mileage' is much more used than 'fuel consumption' among those that use mpg...

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                            They look cute, but I find it odd that the rear passengers sit facing the wrong way.
                            Space/weight savings.

Here's why they get such good mileage:
                            Output 15 kW / 20 HP
                            Max. speed 160 km/h
                            Acceleration 20 sec. (0-100km/h)

20 horsepower. TWENTY? That's about a tenth of what your average new car has in the US. 0-100km/k (0-61mph or so) takes an absurd 20 seconds.

A car that low on power is downright dangerous. Good luck trying to merge or pass anyone in that thing. Hopefully they have holes in the floorboards so you can push with your feet to help it along.

The GT model, however, is perfectly acceptible with a 0-60 time of 9 seconds. With a little face lift and proven safety features, the GT would sell like hotcakes over here in the states.

What would be even better is if they combined this car with our current hybrid technology. Hmm, I wonder why there are no hybrids available that are diesels?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                              Hmm, I wonder why there are no hybrids available that are diesels?
                              I was wondering that myself. And mazda should make a Wankel Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                                And though you never consume miles, you're always burning time, so why isn't your spedometer in hours/km?
                                LOL yeah

But now I am unsure, should it be Pizza/euro or euro/Pizza?
                                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                                X