GW event off due to frostbite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GW event off due to frostbite

GW activists can't even predict cold weather, in winter, near the North Pole

Article....

Frostbite ends Bancroft-Arnesen trek

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A North Pole expedition meant to bring attention to global warming was called off after one of the explorers got frostbite. The explorers, Ann Bancroft and Liv Arnesen, on Saturday called off what was intended to be a 530-mile trek across the Arctic Ocean after Arnesen suffered frostbite in three of her toes, and extreme cold temperatures drained the batteries in some of their electronic equipment.

"Ann said losing toes and going forward at all costs was never part of the journey," said Ann Atwood, who helped organize the expedition.

On Monday, the pair was at Canada's Ward Hunt Island, awaiting a plane to take them to Resolute, Canada, where they were to return to Minneapolis later this week.

Bancroft, 51, became the first woman to cross the North Pole on a 1986 expedition. She and Arnesen, 53, of Oslo, Norway, were the first women to ski across Antarctica in 2001.

But the latest trek got off to a bad start. The day they set off from Ward Hunt Island, a plane landing near the women hit their gear, punching a hole in Bancroft's sled and damaging one of Arnesen's snowshoes.

They repaired the snowshoe with binding from a ski, but Atwood said the patch job created pressure on Arnesen's left foot, which led to blisters that then turned into frostbite.

Then there was the cold — quite a bit colder, Atwood said, then Bancroft and Arnesen had expected. One night they measured the temperature inside their tent at 58 degrees below zero, and outside temperatures were exceeding 100 below zero at times, Atwood said.
    >
    "They were experiencing temperatures that weren't expected with global warming," Atwood said. "But one of the things we see with global warming is unpredictability."
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 March 2007, 18:26.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Getting frostbite is not precluded by falling temperatures.... Especially if useing damaged equipment...
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

It's the irony RR
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Ahhhhh That old beanie!

Yeah, I got it.....
        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

What have GW activists to do with weather?
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Exactly why 'global warming' is an obsolete term used by activists' scare tactics (both pro and con). I just skimmed through the IPCC SFP report and did not see the expression once. Whenever I see it, I start to mistrust the content because it is not scientific (take warning, Mr Gore!).
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

So when the original term become controversial they just change the name and therefore the conversation? That's what it sounds like. Same thing will happen with 'climate change' eventually
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- This has been the world's warmest winter since record-keeping began more than a century ago, the U.S. government agency that tracks weather reported Thursday.
                    The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said the combined global land and ocean surface temperature from December through February was at its highest since records began in 1880.
                    A record-warm January was responsible for pushing up the combined winter temperature, according to the agency's Web site.
                    "Contributing factors were the long-term trend toward warmer temperatures, as well as a moderate El Nino in the Pacific," Jay Lawrimore of NOAA's National Climatic Data Center said in a telephone interview from Asheville, North Carolina.
                    The next-warmest winter on record was in 2004, and the third warmest winter was in 1998, Lawrimore said.
                    The 10 warmest years on record have occurred since 1995.
                    "We don't say this winter is evidence of the influence of greenhouse gases," Lawrimore said.
                    However, he noted that his center's work is part of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change process, which released a report on global warming last month that found climate change is occurring and that human activities quite likely play a role in the change.
                    "So we know as a part of that, the conclusions have been reached and the warming trend is due in part to rises in greenhouse gas emissions," Lawrimore said. "By looking at long-term trends and long-term changes, we are able to better understand natural and anthropogenic [human-caused] climate change."

Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                    X