X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syn-photosynthesis closer

Article....

Artificial photosynthesis moves closer

POTSDAM, Germany, March 12 (UPI) -- German scientists have activated CO2 by using graphitic carbon nitride as a catalyst, moving science closer to artificial photosynthesis.

The achievement was reported by a team led by Markus Antonietti at the Max Planck Institute for Colloids and Interfaces in Potsdam, Germany.

"Chemical activation of carbon dioxide, meaning its cleavage in a chemical reaction, is one of the biggest challenges in synthetic chemistry," said Antonietti.

In contrast to most previous approaches, Antonietti's team worked with metal-free catalysts, turning toward plants for inspiration. Photosynthesis in modern green plants involves an important intermediate step: the bonding of CO2 with nitrogen atoms to form carbamates. The German researchers said they therefore also experimented with nitrogen-rich catalysts with structures that allow them to form carbamates.

"This could make novel, previously unknown chemistry of CO2 accessible," said Antonietti. "It may even be the first step in artificial photosynthesis."

The process is described the journal Angewandte Chemie.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

hmm I wonder if this was the reason my biophysics prof is in Germany this week... he does research into artificial photosynthesis.

Comment

Working...
    X