• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiTricity

Tesla must be smiling;

Link....

Wireless Energy Lights Bulb from Seven Feet Away

Physicists vow to cut the cord between your laptop battery and the wall socket—with just a simple loop of wire

If you thought wireless Internet made life convenient, try wrapping your mind around wireless power. Researchers have successfully lit a 60-watt light bulb by transferring energy through the air from one specially designed copper coil to the bulb, which was attached to a second coil seven feet away [see image at right]. The ultimate goal: to shrink the coils and increase the distance between them so that a single base station emitting "WiTricity," as the inventors refer to the effect, could power a roomful of rechargeable gadgets, each containing its own small coil.

Physicists have known for more than a century that a moving magnetic field produces an electric field and vice versa in an effect called electromagnetic induction, which makes motors turn and allows your, say, electric toothbrush to recharge when placed on its base station. But induction normally works only at very short distances, which is why the toothbrush and base station must touch.

Last winter, physicists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology proposed they could extend induction's reach by projecting a magnetic field from a length of wire coiled so its ends nearly touch. The gap between ends forces electrons to whoosh back and forth through the coild at a specific rate, creating a magnetic field that oscillates at a characteristic frequency. The electrons in a matching coil would have the same frequency, so they would pick up the magnetic field in the same way that a wine glass shatters when an opera singer belts out the right note.

The MIT physicists expected that the moving electrons—a.k.a. an electric current—would carry enough energy to give a laptop the roughly 30 watts it needs, says team leader Marin Soljacic. As described online today in Science, they tested their theory by building a pair of 30-centimeter-wide copper coils and plugging a light bulb into the receiving coil.

Although only 40 percent efficient, or about half as much as a laptop battery, the system worked as expected, says team member Aristeidis Karalis. Shrinking the coils will be challenging, he says, because less of the magnetic field will reach them.

"The big showstopper for this," says theoretical physicist Douglas Stone of Yale University, who was not part of the study, "would be if people, entities or devices that are not supposed to absorb the radiation do absorb it."

Stone says the most striking thing about WiTricity is its simplicity. "This is an idea that is based on principles that are more than 100 years old," he says. "We're not all thinking about 11 dimensions and the beginning and end of the universe."
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 June 2007, 06:37.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Wow. So can I get published if I propose that we make something that's round, and... ROLLS ALONG ON THE GROUND?

WTF? Tesla isn't smiling, he's angry that these hacks are passing off work he had fully fleshed out as some kind of new technology!
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

And Heinrich Hertz before Tesla.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

And Tesla could do it with much higher power over much longer distances at higher efficiency.

Comment

With his eyes closed.
          FT.

Comment

I was actually trying to be mildly sarcastic

And CNN just gave them their 15 minutes. You'd think they'd have someone on staff that knew Tesla means something more than an electric sports car
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 June 2007, 09:32.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

so this is "OK" yet people still freak about living close to powerlines
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post
                so this is "OK" yet people still freak about living close to powerlines

That I can kinda understand cause when I went for a bike ride the other day and passed under some high tension power lines, I got a mild shock just touching the metal frame of my bike!
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                  With his eyes closed.

And... he could teleport shit. Seriously! Just watch "The Prestige"!
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Seriously though, Tesla could send power across oceans. Well, there are some serious technical challenges involved in that PARTICULAR exercise. But he could send it hundreds of miles easily.

Comment

Yeah, too bad he isn't around now. We'd have lightning collectors powering most of the country.
                      Some of the teleportation experiments were kinda bad news though.

Comment

You guys simply can't be serious.
                        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I always felt time travel was his greatest accomplishment.
                          FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                            You guys simply can't be serious.

Why not? Have you ever seen Tesla coils in action? Sending power over great distances was an easy feat. Political concerns mostly prevented sending power over the ocean, since it was difficult to get people in New York and Paris to all agree to run the transmitters and receivers.

You easily believe in human-powered global warming, but you can't believe that Tesla invented packet cellular? PFFFFT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                              I always felt time travel was his greatest accomplishment.

Now you're just being ridiculous. And sure, you can counterclaim that we were being ridiculous, but that's just because you refuse to do any research into the topic. I'm not going to argue that his experiments into teleportation went anywhere (that's the stuff of movies), but power and data transmission? Absolutely.

Comment

Working...
                              X